TT Leen vs EVO

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Well, I was heading up to have dinner with my girfriend's parents (she was in the car with me) and I see this yellow EVO bouncing in and out through traffic (freeway) behind me. I knew what was going to happen, so I told my girl he was going to ram-it-up to catch up to us. She just laughed.
Well, freeway opened up a bit and he rolls up next to me and matches my speed (I hadn't slowed or speed-up to this point). I ask my girl if I should embarrass him and she says yeah, so I looked over at him, he proceeded to down shift and go. I down shifted and followed and pretty muched walked away from him like he was normal traffic and put a few cars on him before shutting down. I slowed down to give him a wave, but he never looked over when he went by (what a surprise!?!?).
His car was clean and nice looking. It was lowered with rims. He didn't have any exhaust though???? You think he was just running a down pipe or something? If so, how much would that increase his boost?

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
nice kill, sounds like one hell of a machine you got there. Do you have any pics of it? What kind of numbers are you putting down?

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
It is the HP kit so the Twins are in behind the bumper. I have tons of pics from the install, but I am on dial up till I get in my new house so it takes FOREVER to load anything. I also have a video from the dyno in my email (if someone wants to post it, pm me and I can forward it to you for posting?)
Numbers are 445 rwhp @ 5500 and 442 rwtq on 8psi. Pretty conervative tune. I am on my stock block till next year (a bunch of goodies being ordered at the end of this summer including engine, heads, cams, tranny, return style fuel set-up). Getting into the new house has forced me to hold off on ordering the car parts for a little while.
I keep waiting to run into a fast EVO, but I am in Washington State and the car scene up here isn't that great. It was just nice to have something halfway respectable pull up next to me.
Here is my car at the tuners:
http://home.fastspecialties.com/index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=40&func=detail&id=157

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Thanks.
From the looks of your sig, your car is pretty sweet too.
I will never forget the first time a SRT-4 surprised me (back when I was supercharged)! ha ha! Those are quick little cars.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
01Saleen said:
Thanks.
From the looks of your sig, your car is pretty sweet too.
I will never forget the first time a SRT-4 surprised me (back when I was supercharged)! ha ha! Those are quick little cars.

When do you hit full boost? Is there a major lag difference between your old supercharged set-up and your current TT set-up? Reason I ask is because my turbo is so super small that I hit full boost by around 2,800-2,900 rpms. It spools too fast (if that makes any sense to you). Anyway good luck with the new set-up.

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
SRT-4 Turbo 7 said:
When do you hit full boost? Is there a major lag difference between your old supercharged set-up and your current TT set-up? Reason I ask is because my turbo is so super small that I hit full boost by around 2,800-2,900 rpms. It spools too fast (if that makes any sense to you). Anyway good luck with the new set-up.

lag difference? lol, saleen s/c's are gay in the boost dept if anything he's probably makin boost faster.saleen superchargers are only making boost from around 2-2500 until 5500, nothing like the cobras that make full boost as fast as you can press the pedal.

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Now that the Saleen Supercharger bashing is completed.....
I hit full boost around 3100 rpms (with the turbos). Saleen supercharger hit full boost at about 2800 rpms. I am not sure when the Cobras hit full boost? They have a superior blower to the Saleen series II, but I am not sure that it makes full boost at a lesser rpm? If you size the turbos right, V8 really doesn't have too much trouble with lag.
Going from a claimed 365 flywheel hp to 450 rwhp though, it really is no comparison. Turbos hit WAY harder and pull like crazy as high into the rpms as you want to take them. My dyno curve was going straight to the moon and showing no signs of stopping when he shut it down at 5500 rpms. I am not even cracking the surface on the potential either. When I get my new stuff, I am going to try to put 650+ rwhp on these turbos. That will be a dyno queen number though. I am thinking around 600rwhp for the street.

ELESWON

Wants a Boss 302 bad!!
Established Member
01Saleen said:
Now that the Saleen Supercharger bashing is completed.....
I hit full boost around 3100 rpms (with the turbos). Saleen supercharger hit full boost at about 2800 rpms. I am not sure when the Cobras hit full boost? They have a superior blower to the Saleen series II, but I am not sure that it makes full boost at a lesser rpm? If you size the turbos right, V8 really doesn't have too much trouble with lag.
Going from a claimed 365 flywheel hp to 450 rwhp though, it really is no comparison. Turbos hit WAY harder and pull like crazy as high into the rpms as you want to take them. My dyno curve was going straight to the moon and showing no signs of stopping when he shut it down at 5500 rpms. I am not even cracking the surface on the potential either. When I get my new stuff, I am going to try to put 650+ rwhp on these turbos. That will be a dyno queen number though. I am thinking around 600rwhp for the street.

I was gonna say you got power hiding in there you haven't even come close to tapping yet. 450 rwhp, while its not slow at all, is nothin' compared to "The Ass Whoopin' You Are About To Recieve" when those twins start breathing a bit closer to capacity.

Funny you mentioned your target street figure of 600 rwhp. I spent about 3 years in the fast car business and was lucky enough to work on over 20 vehicles that were 500 rwhp+ up to the high-700 range, and 600 rwhp seems to be a great stepping off point. Past that, any sort of street tire this side of a DOT racing tire is useless, drivetrain parts break as fast as you can put 'em in (unless you are spending SERIOUS change), and wheel spin at anything below 80 mph is rampant. Good luck with the new setup.

Oh yeah, good kill. :rockon:

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Eleswon-That is what I figured (600rwhp would be right on the boarderline). It sucks knowing that there is so much more there. I am going to go to 18x11's with 335's out back so hopefully I can make the wheelspin somewhat bareable.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
01Saleen, there's some very quick Evo's and one fast STi I know of out there. The STi came up from Oregon to MV to run me and my Cobra one night. I barely got this guy by a fender at the big end and that was with about 490+ RWHP and the Electric Locker / 4.10 IRS setup I had. Stock looking white STi outta OR. that's fast as hell. The big dogs don't come outta the wood work until ya run and rule for a good while somewhere so the word can spread that yer fast. It took a year before the really fast cars started showing up from out of town or out of state to play. Have fun!

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
I still can't believe you got rid of that car!!! Ha ha!

I am sure there is plenty out there that would feed me lunch (even after I get around 600 rwhp). That is life I guess - always something faster! It sure is fun seeing them go though :)

ELESWON

Wants a Boss 302 bad!!
Established Member
If you can fit that tire under there, rock and roll. Our standard for many, many of those 550+ rwhp cars was the 295-35-18 BFG G-Force Drag Radial on a set of 18x10s. They SUCK ASS in the rain, as in, if it starts raining, PULL OVER!! For the most part, anybody with a 600 rwhp car is not going to have that car out in the rain other than if he might get caught out unawares. Otherwise once they get warmed up Ive stuck those tires off the line with a 4.11-geared, 617 rwhp/550 lb tq, Procharger-equipped Z06 on the street. Impressive meats.

Sucks to have the power hiding and can't touch it, torture really. I had the same thing ironing out the nitrous kinks in the Z a year ago. Its like being married to a supermodel and can't sleep with her till you buy the right bed lol. Hey, look on the bright side, at least you HAVE a fast car. Its been 7 mos since I totalled my Z, and due to insurance reasons have not replaced her. I still feel like a crack addict going through widthdrawls, I see another fast car on the road I start twitching and drooling uncontrollably :poke: The only end I see in sight is another fast car.....soon enough. Got my eye on a SN-95 4v Cobra w/ plenty of boost....yes Im changing sides, been there done that with the LS1 thing (and loved it), but I want 4 cams, 32 valves and a bunch of psi's :rockon:

ELESWON

Wants a Boss 302 bad!!
Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
01Saleen, there's some very quick Evo's and one fast STi I know of out there. The STi came up from Oregon to MV to run me and my Cobra one night. I barely got this guy by a fender at the big end and that was with about 490+ RWHP and the Electric Locker / 4.10 IRS setup I had. Stock looking white STi outta OR. that's fast as hell. The big dogs don't come outta the wood work until ya run and rule for a good while somewhere so the word can spread that yer fast. It took a year before the really fast cars started showing up from out of town or out of state to play. Have fun!

Theres at least one 10-sec Evo local here....2.3L stroker, GT35R, stand-alone ECU...nuff said. I drove it at the track when it was running a lowly 12.00 @ 113 mph. It scared me launching that car, wasn't used to 1.65 short times lol. Those cars can be scary fast, and deadly on the street, as it is difficult to match AWD and 380+ whp with street tires and RWD, no matter how much hp you got.

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
335's will fit on 18x11" CCW's. A few guys have them already. That is the plan.
Fast car definitely addicting. Hooking on 617 rwhp would be insane! I can't even imagine. Glad to hear you are coming over to the Ford Family. ha ha! LS1's can be beasts too though. You can't sleep on them.
That goes for pretty much everything these days. You never know what you are really going to get...kind of like a box of chocolates :)

Ok, I apologize for the Gump reference

ELESWON

Wants a Boss 302 bad!!
Established Member
Oh im sure the 335s will go on those wheels (GREAT choice in wheels by the way, probably my favorite wheels), but will it fit the damn car? I assume you've done the research and it will work.

I loved my LS1, but I just wanna try something different the next time around. The shop I worked at was a mostly Mustang shop, we did a good bit of modular work, so I was intrigued. I would never have said that to them, but I wanna try my hand at this overhead cam thing. Im goona miss my pushrods though :-D .

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
You are from NC??? I was born in Raleigh. My parents moved us out here (Washington State) when I was in like the 4th grade. I missed NC bad. That place is the best!
Yeah, CCW has done the 18x11's w/335's for GT's and Cobras before and they work/fit. I love the rims too. I am going with the black anodized centers on the polished lip.
Modulars are a blast man. You won't be disappointed.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Yeah, don't have the Snake anymore but the Brute is coming to a street or track near you this Summer. How's a 1.33 short time sound to ya? The Snake was cool but this toy I have now is plain obnoxious and I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread