TT 04 Cobra runing VERY rich.

SlipperySnake

Established Member
I have an 04 Cobra twin turbo, etc, etc. It has a Fore Innovations fuel system, fc3, triple 465 pumps, sullivan rails and ID1300s. Car is running very very rich. Runs very rough, black smoke, cant even breathe next to it, spitting fuel out the down pipes, black as night plugs, replaced 02 sensors with no change. Has anyone ever seen a Fore regulator go bad? I've pulled the vacuum line and it smells like fuel, but I think it is just from the intake manifold having so much fumes inside of it from the rich condition. The vacuum line itself has no liquid fuel inside of it. It is also a brand new regulator. Oil also smells of straight gas. It's not the tune as this is the second tune I've had sent to me from two separate tuners. Any advice or previous experiences with this is greatly appreciated it. Fuel pressure is 40 psi at idle. Thanks.

MG0h3

Established Member
If your fuel pressure is at 40 I wouldn't worry about the regulator being an issue.

Hasn't the tuner looked at logs to see whats going on? If he hasn't asked for them I'd consider going elsewhere.

bigmoose

Established Member
What is your tune expecting for base pressure? If it's 40 psi you should see around 32 at idle.

SlipperySnake

Established Member
Yes he has asked but I'm in Houston and y'all all know we just had major flooding. It was absolutely terrible but I managed and am very blessed with no damage. So his shop got some water in it and down in the dyno he's been busy with that. I looked at some numbers yesterday while it was running. The o2s are reading .8 volts but the pcm is adding 10-15% fuel on STFT. .800 is a rich condition on a o2 correct? So why is it adding fuel? That means it thinks it is lean. Base pressure is 40 and I've adjusted it down from there with same results. It has a different pcm in it then I originally started out with because I had this wiring issue that I eventually fixed but at first thought it was the pcm. So got another with same code and had same results but it was the wiring like I said but still have that pcm in there. I don't see why that would affect fueling though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Who's been writing the tunes for the ID1300's? Only a few tuner to my knowledge have done the work to get them to work with the stock ECU. I would hit up Lund on a tune to see if it's that. Unless he is one of the ones listed. I know that he has the ID1300's down for the 03/04 Platform

SlipperySnake

Established Member
Okay I'll give him a shout for sure. Idk but dude it's so rich that there is straight black smoke coming out of the downpipes, spark plugs are black as Samuel Jackson. I've never seen a car run this rich before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You need to stop running the car if it's that bad, or you're going to wash out your rings

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Drain oil and use some cheap high mileage oil for another flush and again until non WOT tuning is fixed.
Glad car survived flood.
-J

SlipperySnake

Established Member
It's a brand new motor, still run it until I can get it to run correct i guess correct? Then replace with Joe Gibbs etc. I cannot figure it out...

MG0h3

Established Member
Was this the car weird some weird boost issues after a new turbo install?

Your tuner should be able to look at some logs and tell you whats going on.

He's not sending you an E85 tune while you have 91-93 in it is he?

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Check you injectors. Had similar issue and had a injector stuck wide open.

SlipperySnake

Established Member
No this isn't the car with the boost issue. This is happening on all injectors, not just one. All plugs are black as night. I also had them bench tested and had no issues.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Trailer it to a reputable tuner it's worth hatever it takes versus rebuilding a fresh motor IMO.
Good luck.
-J

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Who's been writing the tunes for the ID1300's? Only a few tuner to my knowledge have done the work to get them to work with the stock ECU.
The ID1300's a breeze to tune for. ID provides all the data. With a slot MAF, you can use 03Steve's Tuning Workbook Pro Excel sheet and it scales everything to dump right into the tune. I did all this when I was using SCT PRP and tuned the car myself. Any reasonably competent tuner should be able to get these injectors to work.

This is a tune issue point blank. No idea why you keep trying to magically fix this with hopes and wishes.
100% agree.

SlipperySnake

Established Member
It's been a long time since I fixed this, but just got on here looking at my old threads and I hate it when I read a thread and it is actually an issue I am having then come to the end and the OP doesn't even ever state the fix. It was a bad BRAND NEW SCT BA5000 MAF. Yes, brand new from Lethal Performance. The tune was setup for a 5000 and everything. Buddy came over one day and said screw it lets swap out sensors and just narrow it down. Literally swapped the MAF first with his PMAS and the car immediately ran better on that first start. No smoke and better idle. Now I am just worried my brand new engine will have to be removed due to possibly washing the rings out. Hopefully I can put some boost on it and push those stainless rings against the cross hashing.

Users who are viewing this thread