TSB and past warranty questions

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
so i bought my little crap box focus new in april of '10. almost since day one it's been making a creaking/popping sound from the front end over certain bumps and when turning over a bump. i had the car in 2-3 times while under the 3/36k. each time they couldn't hear the noise, including once where i drove with the tech and the freaking thing didn't make the noise (of course). anyways, the other day i was just searching for TSB's and such for the gf's car and did a quick search of mine. i came across this on a focus forum:
TSB
10-8-5 CLICK/POP NOISE FROM FRONT END WHILE TURNING OR GOING OVER BUMPS

Publication Date: April 27, 2010

FORD: 2008-2010 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 09-18-2 to update the Service Procedure, Service Labor Time Standards and Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2008-2010 Focus vehicles may exhibit a click/pop type noise from the front end while turning and/or driving over bumps, or a creak/squeak noise from front when driving over bumps. The noise may be isolated to front stabilizer bar end links, front upper strut bearing area, and/or lower control arm.

ACTION:
Follow the service procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Install Chassis Ear JSP97202 in the Rotunda Technician Tool Program or equivalent to identify and isolate the source of the noise.
Drive the vehicle over moderate bumps and perform left and right turns.
If a click/pop noise is coming from front stabilizer bar end link(s), proceed to Step 3.
If a click/pop noise is from upper strut bearing area, go to Step 4.
If a creak/squeak type noise is coming from a lower control arm, go to Step 5.
Front stabilizer bar end link click/pop noise.
Is vehicle built on or before 1/11/2010?
Yes - remove and install four (4) revised stabilizer bar end link nuts per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 204-01; torque to 46 lb-ft (63 N-m).
No - replace affected stabilizer bar end link(s) per WSM, Section 204-01; torque nuts to 46 lb-ft (63 N-m).
Upper strut bearing click/pop noise.
Is vehicle built on or between 10/01/2007 and 10/31/2007?
Yes - replace upper strut bearing per WSM, Section 204-01; torque nuts to 30 lb-ft (40 N-m).
No - proceed to Step 3b.
Is vehicle built on or before 11/30/2008?
Yes - inspect the three (3) upper strut mount nuts for signs of looseness. Torque nuts to 30 lb-ft (40 N-m).
No - replace suspect strut per WSM, Section 204-01; torque upper nuts to 30 lb-ft (40 N-m).
Lower control arm creak/squeak noise.
Replace the affected lower control arm per WSM, Section 204-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
9S4Z-3078-A Lower Control Arm - Right Hand
9S4Z-3079-A Lower Control Arm - Left Hand
9S4Z-18124-C Front Strut - Right Hand, w/ Rear Stabilizer Bar
9S4Z-18124-E Front Strut - Right Hand, w/o Rear Stabilizer Bar
9S4Z-18124-D Front Strut - Left Hand, w/ Rear Stabilizer Bar
9S4Z-18124-F Front Strut - Left Hand, w/o Rear Stabilizer Bar
8S4Z-18198-A Strut Bearing
AS4Z-5K484-AA Front Stabilizer Bar End Link
W-713760-S440 Nut - Stabilizer Bar Link

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
100805A 2008-2010 Focus: Includes Diagnosing With Chassis Ears And Road Test, Labor Operation Should Be Claimed With B, C, D, E, F Or G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.8 Hr.
100805B 2008-2010 Focus: Replace Four (4) Stabilizer Bar End Link Nuts Or Stabilizer Bar End Links, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, C, D, E, F And G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.2 Hr.
100805C 2008-2010 Focus: Replace One (1) Upper Strut Bearing Or Strut Assembly, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, E, F, And G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.5 Hr.
100805D 2008-2010 Focus: Replace Both (2) Sides Upper Strut Bearings Or Strut Assemblies, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, F And G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.8 Hr.
100805E 2008-2010 Focus: Tighten Both (2) Sides Upper Strut Bearing Retainers, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, F And G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.1 Hr.
100805F 2008-2010 Focus: Replace One (1) Lower Control Arm, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, C, D And E (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.3 Hr.
100805G 2008-2010 Focus: Replace Both (2) Sides Lower Control Arms, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, C, D, E And F (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
3B438 24

the car is now a year past the 3/36 and has only 35k on it. i'm not trying to be a weasel or anything (i use to work for this dealer), but it's a little annoying that i had the car in for this under warranty and there was a TSB all along.

i had my gf's car in for an inspection friday and my buddy in service remembered me bringing it in a few times for this, so i'm swinging by today to see what can be done.

no big deal if i'm SOL but just wondering what you guys thought and if i have any recourse with this.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
That really sucks. It definitely isn't an uncommon problem either. Some of my friends at a local dealer hate doing warranty work too. Was it the same guy every time you took it in? I am hoping for your sake that they decide to honor the warranty work if they remember you going in before under warranty, but it will probably be out of good faith if they do. I don't know if they have any obligations to you at this point unfortunately.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
That really sucks. It definitely isn't an uncommon problem either. Some of my friends at a local dealer hate doing warranty work too. Was it the same guy every time you took it in? I am hoping for your sake that they decide to honor the warranty work if they remember you going in before under warranty, but it will probably be out of good faith if they do. I don't know if they have any obligations to you at this point unfortunately.

like i said i used to work there, so i'm not trying to be a dick or anything. i use the same service advisor every time and i as i said he remembered the times i brought it in. actually, the second i started to mention it he brought up the 2 or 3 times. different techs i believe however. i'm about to bring it over now for a sticker and i'll show them the print out of the TSB. we'll see. not a huge deal if they can't do anything.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
That sucks OP hopefully they will do somthing but most likely will charge you now that it's out of warranty.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would be super mad lol. I would want them to honor the warranty work. If you used to work there, then it doesn't really sound like they are trying to screw you over or anything.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
I would be super mad lol. I would want them to honor the warranty work. If you used to work there, then it doesn't really sound like they are trying to screw you over or anything.

Yea I should be irritated. But I also should have pressed a little harder and not given them the benefit of the doubt just because I know them. They're not trying to screw me. I'm here now and they're trying to see what they can do. That's all I can ask.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you have paperwork from a Ford Dealer showing that you brought it in under warranty for that exact complaint and it was never repaired than it should be repaired under the original warranty even if the time has run out. You are not responsible for the incompetence of the service department. Contact the Ford District manager or factory and you should not have too much trouble getting it taken care of.

But I bet that your complaint wasn't written down on the repair order AS YOU DESCRIBED IT! That is a very common way for the service manager to get out of expensive or difficult repairs. They write down your complaint in such a way that you think they are doing what you asked for, but in reality it is written down in such a way that they can get out of the "multiple repairs) for the same complaint.

When I was trying to get Ford to properly repair the transmission of my old Exploder they tried all sorts of tricks to not write down what I was complaining about. I would just grab the repair document out of the service writers hands and write down the complaint in plain English exactly as I wanted it, sign it, and tear out my copy before he could attempt to change it. That is the only way I ended up with an entirely new transmission four years later, for free.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
UPDATE: so i'm bringing the car back in tomorrow. they're going to replace what ever needs to be done under the original warranty.

:rockon:

mrlrd1

Established Member
That TSB is a joke. Look at all the parts they list! You would be better off with a set of diagnostic dice or darts. The control arms and struts rarely make noise. The end links fail all the time, and account for 90% of the front end noise on those cars. The other 10% is a ball joint that moves around in the knuckle.

Users who are viewing this thread