Trying to upgrade brakes on the cheap!

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
So this is what I have come up with to try and upgrade the brakes on my daily driver to SN95 Cobra brakes.

Let me know if you can think of anything I am missing!

From a junkyard!
  • '83-'92 Ranger/Bronco II Left (driver) side axle (29-5/32") from a 4cyl or 3.0L V-6 with the 7.5" rear end, or '86-'97 Aerostar RIGHT side axles (29-5/32")
  • SN95 Spindles

New

So for about 900 bucks of new parts plus a couple of junkyard spindles and axles I will have some updated brakes...

Anybody have any ideas besides, "Just go ahead and drop two grand on the Stoptechs or Willwoods"?

Really, if you know of anything I am missing or have done this kind of conversion in the past, please drop me a line!

Thanks!

83gt5.0

Established Member
Not trying to insult your knowledge on the project, but do you know which "SN95 spindles" to get? The 94-95's are the best to get (V6-GT-Cobra are all the same). The 96+ have a different offset. I don't know if it affects factory rims, but I know if you want aftermarket rims (wider), it plays a roll.

I am doing the same project!! :) Been collecting these parts for a while now. The most expensive part is you have to replace the dang rims (& tires)!!! Still need discs, calipers, and CobraNorth brackets, and Brake booster/maybe MC.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
unless you are just wanting 5-lug wheels all the way around, I would spend $900 on just the Baer 13" front kit and be done with it. sn95 rear brakes are not better than ours.

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Don't forget hubs and brake lines.....

I agree with Lee on just upgrading the front unless you are already have a set of rims and tires.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
One issue to consider when using the Ranger axles with SN95 rear rotors is... the SN95 rotor has a much bigger center hole than the flange on the Ranger axle.... so the wheel studs are the only thing supporting the rotor. This causes some run out issues as well as possible stud breakage from the force applied solely to the studs under braking.

The best chioce would be to order a set of Moser/Strange axles that are 5 lug, fox body length, and have a SN95 flange. The custom axles cost the same as the regular off the shelf fox axles.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
cobra186 said:
One issue to consider when using the Ranger axles with SN95 rear rotors is... the SN95 rotor has a much bigger center hole than the flange on the Ranger axle.... so the wheel studs are the only thing supporting the rotor. This causes some run out issues as well as possible stud breakage from the force applied solely to the studs under braking.

The best chioce would be to order a set of Moser/Strange axles that are 5 lug, fox body length, and have a SN95 flange. The custom axles cost the same as the regular off the shelf fox axles.

Baer Brakes makes a nice little setup for that. P/N 6260132 $12.00 + shipping. I got them for $20 shipped to my door. They are a machined aluminum ring that centers the rotor and makes them hub centric again.

83gt5.0

Established Member
Goodson said:
Baer Brakes makes a nice little setup for that. P/N 6260132 $12.00 + shipping. I got them for $20 shipped to my door. They are a machined aluminum ring that centers the rotor and makes them hub centric again.
Awesome, I had not heard of that. That may be the best spent $20 of the project.

Oh yeah, and I'm doing the brake upgrade on my 83, not my Cobra. Considering redrilling the rear rotors and keeping the brakes I have on it though. (87 Turbo Coupe/93 Cobra rear end)

9 deuce gt

Established Member
No need to redrill. Check out this web site. www.discbrakesrus.com
Spend some time on there and call for better pricing. They have 5 lug disc's for the T-Bird reaer/brakes.

It's a lot of stuff to look over. Hope this helps.

venomisback

Big Member
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
unless you are just wanting 5-lug wheels all the way around, I would spend $900 on just the Baer 13" front kit and be done with it. sn95 rear brakes are not better than ours.

Where have you seen the kit for $900? I've found the kit for $1200 or so. I'm sure I'm looking in the wrong places.

:shrug:

blk50cobra

Established Member
Goodson said:

When did you order yours? I tried to get them about a year ago. The people I talked to had no idea what I was talking about. I gave them that part number too, but they said there aren't part numbers for hubcentric rings. They sent me some with the correct OD, but I had to grind the ID a bit to get them over the ranger axles. They center the rotors nice, but are only as wide as the rotor so they don't center the wheels. I was thinking about getting a second set to center the wheels.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
It was about a year ago this time. And yes, they are only supposed to center the rotor. They're about as thick as a rotor.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:

+1, LEE seems to know what the aftermarket (non factory fits are), cars need for mods.

I am a Ford tech and have to ask what would fit mine if I ever decide to change the Factory set up, which might be that long from now.

So get ready for major questions LEE. I am also thinking of the 07' Shelby, we will talk when I get all the #'s down, looking for theMonthly $$$$.

Users who are viewing this thread