Trying to understand heat soak.

michael kellam

Established Member
Good morning Guys,

So symptom is loss of power when the car gets warm. from reading all of the posts the corrective action is a heat exchanger. installed the Dual fan kit from AFCO yesterday. here is the symptom again now that i am paying more attention.

- before the car reaches op. temp its a rocket.
- once reaching operating temp 2nd gear will spin on the first hit. the hot lap hit second no longer spun. 2nd felt weak however 3rd was consistently awesome.
- the IC pump runs non stop. as do the fans. is this normal?

so far what i have done is did the "finger test" to see how warm the IC fluid was. when i made a few hits the fluid was on the low side of warm. turned car off. waited 10 minutes drove for 10 minutes with a lite hit in 2nd, drove another 5 minutes and parked in the garage. the fluid was "cool" to the touch.

my question is why does the car fade in 2nd but seem to regain all its steam in 3rd?

TIA,
Mike

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I am not sure on the power thing, sure it isn't just the tires warming up and getting more traction? As far as the IC Pump and fans, it is normal, they will run all the time. I find it a bit annoying and there are some solves on here, but I have not had the time to try to rig something up....

nxhappy

Established Member
possible belt slip? that would explain the "power loss" you feel ...

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Even with the F1's, I vote tires are warmed up and you are getting better traction.

michael kellam

Established Member
Datalog on timing and temps will do you some good.

yeah this week. theres no way to figure this out otherwise. luckily there is another gentlemen on this forum not to far from me and his experience is much higher then mine. he has offered to help me data log my car this week.

nxhappy

Established Member
yeah this week. theres no way to figure this out otherwise. luckily there is another gentlemen on this forum not to far from me and his experience is much higher then mine. he has offered to help me data log my car this week.

look at the timing. I bet it is dropping.

Users who are viewing this thread