Trying to tune with a performance chip already in

hitnrun

Established Member
Hey guys, so last night I was getting ready to load my start up tune from the local shop and I got the error code 1019. Now, I am under the impression that I most likely have a performance chip in my computer from the previous owners build. What options am I left with as far as being able to tune that computer? Can I remove the chip or would I have to get a new ECM? The car is a 97 Cobra, had a Vortech with a FMU, so probably a performance chip too. I am now trying to load the tune via SCT X3
Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

MickeyD

Established Member
For using a handheld tuner like the SCT X3 you would need to remove the chip if there is one there. This is preventing the X3 from unlocking the ECM. If there is no chip then I would check for blown fuses

hitnrun

Established Member
Ok, as far as removing a chip goes does it just pop out or how is it mounted to the computer?

(sorry for the dumb questions but I have never done this before)

MickeyD

Established Member
Yes, the chip just slides out. You will want to disconnect the battery and pull the ECM out from the kick panel area. Then the chip should just be able to slide out, you may have to unbolt the casing of the ECM to get it out but its pretty easy

Users who are viewing this thread