Trying to stop intercooler oil contamination

FINICKY

Established Member
Its a known problem that the pcv system is letting oil vapor be sucked into the engine and coat the intercooler... many people have put seperators between the pcv line and the intake that seems to work.
But what about the line going from the valve cover to the intake tube on the passenger side of the engine. seems to me that most of the blow by would get sucked into that line during boost situations. The pvc system doesnt work under boost.Thats why the throttle body and intercooler gets all gummed up with oil.
So how can we filter that line before it goes into the intake. The only thing i can come up with is a filtered breather cap such as this.
http://www.wynnespeed.com/product.phtml?p=561

That could be put in the vavle cover and the line attached to the nipple. It should serve as an oil blocker...

So any ideas or thoughts

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I'm really REALLY interested in this thread. I have some very wicked valve cover vent blowby and I'm convinced that it's going to ruin my intercooler.

I take apart the intake every so often and clean up the mess, but a lot makes it past the TB. :cryying:

I tried looking for an air compressor filter that would fit but have not had much luck. That filtered breather cap looks like the best idea yet.

Keep 'em coming.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
I just put on a breather cap in place of the oil cap and supposedly its supposed to stop the problem...No smelly vapors detected yet as some have indicated...No oil leaking out etc...It is a screw on type that has a rubber/silicone base so it completely seals the oil filler hole...I can provide pics if someone likes...

-pete:coolman:

FINICKY

Established Member
The only problem I have with your setup is that it lets un metered air in. Did you cap the little hose going to the intake tube. I would love to see pics im curious to see any setup lol.

I kinda wanted to leave the stock system intact but just filter it clean ya know. I know the stock set up will pull the blow by out as opposed to just venting it...

hey NyteByte i just got this from razors edge. It should work for the pcv side. http://www.razorsedgemotorsports.com
go under lightning products. then to Miscellaneous. then oil seperator.
Im still looking for something to filter the hose going to the intake tube though.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by FINICKY
The only problem I have with your setup is that it lets un metered air in. Did you cap the little hose going to the intake tube. I would love to see pics im curious to see any setup lol.

Correct, but it should also allow excess air pressure from the crankcase to exit under boosted conditions too...So far I have not noticed any pinging or lean conditions...The computer must have some way of monitoring the PCV valve flowrates or something otherwise whats the purpose of the valve if you cant monitor its performance?...I talked with my tuner before the install and he didnt mention that it would cause any problems whatsoever and it hasn't so far...No, I did not cap the hose going to the intake tube...Just the breather cap, nothing else....

-pete:coolman:

jlsnsw

Hello San Diego!!!
Established Member
Re: picture #2

Originally posted by cobrapete03'
picture #2

Cobrapete03,
How long have you been running with this setup. I am interested in doing something like this.

Undy

Established Member
The only problem I have with your setup is that it lets un metered air in.

This can be allowed for in the chip. It's been common practice for the Lightning for 3 or 4 years/

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
The only problem I see with the filter, is that it blows oil all over the engine compartment.
What I do with my bikes is run a hose, and locate the filter at the rear, where the oil blows neatly away. in this case, it would require in adaptor that fits in the valve cover, and has a hose fitting.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Edit - that Moroso part in the link is what I meant.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Undy
This can be allowed for in the chip. It's been common practice for the Lightning for 3 or 4 years/

It's been guessed at for years by "L" owners, since no one really knows how much to allow for. The "L" community went to seperators on the most part as a means to slow down (but not eliminate) this problem.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
hey NyteByte i just got this from razors edge. It should work for the pcv side. http://www.razorsedgemotorsports.com
go under lightning products. then to Miscellaneous. then oil seperator.

Do you think this would fit on the Cobra? It looks like it has to sit vertical and there might not be enough room under the Cobra's hood for that setup.

Users who are viewing this thread