Trying to size some turbos

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I am making plans now to TT my 2vGT. At the moment, I am doing my research so I can do this project properly.

I am, however, having trouble sizing turbos for the car. I plan on forging the engine and keeping the stock displacement. I am also aiming for 8.5-9.0:1 compression. Ideally, this car will be a street car with good turbo response. I plan on keeping on low boost(450-500rwhp) consistently and turning it up on weekends, track, cruising, etc.

I have been leaning for Garrett turbos. I like the idea of some being ball bearing and I also may be able to buy the turbos very cheap through my job. We sell Honeywell and have access to their products. Garrett is part of Honeywell so I may be able to get a great deal on them. Does anyone have any suggestions for sizing the turbos? I have read Garrett's website. I learned a lot but, got confused too. I have some experience w/ juice but, not blowers or turbos.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

RussZTT

Established Member
Look into a set of 50mm turbos. Very good response (very low lag) but also make some great power.

RussZTT

Established Member
biggest i would go is 57mm turbos
Look how much power he is looking for. Pair of 50mm would be perfect for him. Still, these size turbos will give him little more power than he is looking for but still able to run mid to low 10s on the weekends.

Turbo04Mystichr

Established Member
i have a pair of 60mm's on my cobra. i like them cuz they make good power and spool rather quickly. i make full boost at close to 3,000 rpms. do you plan on doin single or twins?

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I plan on going twins. I like the idea of each header feeding a turbo vs. routing everything together. I know there is a bunch of plumbing but, that doesnt worry me.

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
Wouldnt twin 60s be a bit big for a stock cubes 4.6L??? What kinda A/R would be needed??? From what I have been reading, somewhere around .60 would be pretty fast spooling.

RussZTT

Established Member
Wouldnt twin 60s be a bit big for a stock cubes 4.6L??? What kinda A/R would be needed??? From what I have been reading, somewhere around .60 would be pretty fast spooling.
It depends what your goal is. Personally I think anything over 57's is to big for 6 speed street car unless you want to do a bunch of roll racing.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
th_fd692054.gif

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
Yes it was a built teksid. I messed that engine up. I'm about to drop a big bore teksid in next week.

teamstorm02

Established Member
i have the HP twin turbo kit at 8psi and im makin 430 to the wheels i have the twin 57 kit with the upgraded intercooler the turbos spool right at 3k which is nothing... look at the new mm&ff mag they have a 2v with the twin 57 kit forged internals and some head porting and its making 1006hp and 860somethin tourqe so if your lookin for serious power this is a good kit! me personaly i love it! since the day i put it in... plus i love the sound of them things spoolin up!:dancenana:

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I have looked at the HP Performance kit. Recently, I have heard a lot of bad things about them. The kit is supposedly good but, the customer service and lead time on the kits is outrageous. This is just what I have read though.

Y2K- That looks awesome. Are those sleeved cylinders or what??? I am arranging for a Teskid now and will be building that to drop in. Did you need to clearance the block at all for the internals???

Users who are viewing this thread