Trying to help a buddy out with his viper.

MastaAce03

Established Member
This might be the wrong place to post this but I'll give it a shot. My buddy has a 1999 viper RT/10. He said he was at a stop light when a engine knock began. He pulled over and had the car towed to a shop. The shop quoted him 6k to fix the problem. They said one of the pistons seized in one of the cylinders and now the car is running on 9 cylinders.

Thoughts, ideas, solutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Yeah, how are the other pistons pumping, if one is seized?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

MastaAce03

Established Member
Exactly. Didn't make any sense to me either. I'm trying to get more info on it as we speak. He just said that a piston rod is probably bent, causing the knock.

MastaAce03

Established Member
So it looks at a minimum of a rebuild or purchasing a new short block Question is, does anyone know what that should run on the viper?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
A knock could be anything. If it needs a shortblock it won't be cheap at all

MastaAce03

Established Member
A knock could be anything. If it needs a shortblock it won't be cheap at all

Stock power too. Kind of hard to believe you'd bend a rod at stock power, especially when it started at a stop light. Second opinion on the car is looking like a must.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
the 96 viper wouldn't be a SRT model. it's either a GTS which has forged internals and the 710 cam they're extremly strong. If it has the T-top its the RT/10 model which has the not so strong V10. Anyway if the engine is knocking you need to verifi it's not a bad lifter. It's not that uncommon for them to fail.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Rod bearing, possibly over-revved. Oil level and condition? Time for a new shop, if they told him that!

MastaAce03

Established Member
the 96 viper wouldn't be a SRT model. it's either a GTS which has forged internals and the 710 cam they're extremly strong. If it has the T-top its the RT/10 model which has the not so strong V10. Anyway if the engine is knocking you need to verifi it's not a bad lifter. It's not that uncommon for them to fail.

You're correct, my bad. Right before I wrote this I was watching viper srt10 videos. Lol

Last edited:

MastaAce03

Established Member
Rod bearing, possibly over-revved. Oil level and condition? Time for a new shop, if they told him that!

Oil level was good, condition unknown yet. Car only has like 60k on it.

Definitely time for a new shop, which is why I'm seeking some info for him. All the advice is much appreciated.

Zemedici

Established Member
So its a v8 (with a seized piston 8-1=7) and now it runs on 9 pistons? Maaaagiiiiiccc. Get a new shop that actually knows what size motors in there.

Sent from my LGMS428 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Uhm......do you EVER know what's going on?

You really think vipers are V8s?

DropSVT

Established Member
Srt8

I believe that number at the end of srt stands for how many cylinders it has. Being that the op is the one who wrote that in, knew it was a mistake and didnt edit the post, i felt it be fair that i be sarcastic with it magically gaining 2 cylinders.

MastaAce03

Established Member
I believe that number at the end of srt stands for how many cylinders it has. Being that the op is the one who wrote that in, knew it was a mistake and didnt edit the post, i felt it be fair that i be sarcastic with it magically gaining 2 cylinders.

Edited just for you buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread