Trying to fix vibe.. what do they replace in the rear?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I know most dealers either replace your driveshaft or your rear end to correct the problem.

When the rear end gets replaced.. what exactly do they replace? Just the pumpkin, the ring and pinion, or the entire assembly?

the ambush

Established Member
what kind of vide?
is it a very light and fast vibe (not the same as an unbalanced tire) at +85mph?
i've got the same problem. :(

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
the ambush said:
what kind of vide?
is it a very light and fast vibe (not the same as an unbalanced tire) at +85mph?
i've got the same problem. :(

Yea it feels smooth as glass until I get it over 80mph.

It used to be so bad that it would vibrate the rear view mirror enough to where it looked blurry.

The 04 Cobra driveshaft helped, but its not perfect. Guess I'm going to have to try and index it myself.

the ambush

Established Member
mine is an 04 and the vibe is very subtle, the guys at the ford dealer told me to install on the drive shaft a (what's the english word for that metal strap that secures coolant hoses ?). then move it around the shaft until the vibe stops. did not try it yet though.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
the ambush said:
mine is an 04 and the vibe is very subtle, the guys at the ford dealer told me to install on the drive shaft a (what's the english word for that metal strap that secures coolant hoses ?). then move it around the shaft until the vibe stops. did not try it yet though.

A hose clamp. Where on the shaft can you secure it?

BLWN46

Established Member
I have the same problem, i'll have my new driveshaft in by the weekend, i'll let you know if it cures the vibration. I work at a Lincoln-Mercury Dealership and just found this thread which applies to my car. 568mi so far!

the ambush

Established Member
it's trial and error method. it may be long but if it cures the problem , it's a good way to convince the dealer that there Special Mustang has an unbalanced drive shaft , which is unacceptable on a ~50,000$ car (here in canada).

redlinelaunch

the ambush said:

i would think that they would order you a driveshaft if they think thats the source?

and by the way 03 DSG Snake, more than likely the pumpkin its self will be replaced in a warranty rearend vib.

Last edited by a moderator:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've seen the hose clamp idea mentioned in an article on the "vibe", but usually ends up weighing too much and washers are used instead.

Where would you install a hose clamp?

svt1.8t

JDM BUILT BADASS
Established Member
same problem here on my 04 cobra until 85 mph car is smooth, 85 and up the shake get worse at 120 car feels like it wants to shake off the road, had it at dealer 3 times for a total of 26 days and they can't fix it because they wont drive it over 65 mph,called svt and they gave me a number for ford to buy it back instead of helping me fix it :fm: , would really like some help on this on i want to keep the car

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
svt1.8t said:
same problem here on my 04 cobra until 85 mph car is smooth, 85 and up the shake get worse at 120 car feels like it wants to shake off the road, had it at dealer 3 times for a total of 26 days and they can't fix it because they wont drive it over 65 mph,called svt and they gave me a number for ford to buy it back instead of helping me fix it :fm: , would really like some help on this on i want to keep the car

I've been doing more and more testing on my car. It seems to drop off significantly if I go up to like 90 and throw it in neutral it disappears.

It MIGHT be a problem with the flywheel or clutch/pressure plate?

I'm off work next week so between classes I'm going to start indexing my DS and then making some high speed runs late at night to check how the settins work.

Check this article : http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/irsvibes.html

EddieGT

Life begins at 8 psi...
Established Member
I just called my dealer's service department and scheduled an appointment for Monday. I have an '04 and it does have a weird vibe at 80+ MPH. It's hard to explain, it's not a shake, it's more like a weird "sound wave" type vibration that you can feel coming from the rear-end or driveshaft under the car.

Is that the same problem we're discussing?

The person I spoke to told me that they couldn't troubleshoot it because I was driving the vehicle "off limits allowed in the US"... I told him there HAS to be a way to troubleshoot it without driving it on the freeway, because even though I'm driving it off legal limits, I'm not driving it off specified limits for the vehicle itself. If I removed the governor and went over 155 MPH then I'd understand him saying that... ;)

Wish me luck in getting this issue resolved without much of a fuss from them...

:shrug:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
EddieGT said:
I just called my dealer's service department and scheduled an appointment for Monday. I have an '04 and it does have a weird vibe at 80+ MPH. It's hard to explain, it's not a shake, it's more like a weird "sound wave" type vibration that you can feel coming from the rear-end or driveshaft under the car.

Is that the same problem we're discussing?

The person I spoke to told me that they couldn't troubleshoot it because I was driving the vehicle "off limits allowed in the US"... I told him there HAS to be a way to troubleshoot it without driving it on the freeway, because even though I'm driving it off legal limits, I'm not driving it off specified limits for the vehicle itself. If I removed the governor and went over 155 MPH then I'd understand him saying that... ;)

Wish me luck in getting this issue resolved without much of a fuss from them...

:shrug:

Yup thats the problem.

My dealer did 2 driveshafts and 2 rear ends, then when I still kept complaining they just shrugged it off and said it was normal.

And most of the time they'd give me that line that they couldn't take it over 65mph. Made me wanna kidnap a tech under the cover of darkness and take em for a steady 100mph cruise to see if it felt "normal"...

BLWN46

Established Member
I'm tempted to send the driveline to a good driveshaft shop for balancing. Anyone know if they could also balance the axle shafts?? I did have a similar problem in my 95 cobra, right after new bearing install in the trans, re-did the trans and the problem went away, any chance it's in the trans?

svt1.8t

JDM BUILT BADASS
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
I've been doing more and more testing on my car. It seems to drop off significantly if I go up to like 90 and throw it in neutral it disappears.QUOTE]
thats what i told them also if you put it in neutral shake is gone so it appears to be driveline related, i bring my car to downs ford in nj, and they just keep balancing my tires and wheels, they have access to a dyno, i told them i'd pay for it to go on the dyno so they could feel the shake, and they said thats against ford policy, i really want to keep my car and start modding it, but i can't deal with the shake anymore, i'm about to trade it in for an evo or s4

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
So if it goes away in neutral does that rule out the driveshaft and mean the possibly the clutch / flywheel is involved?

svt1.8t

JDM BUILT BADASS
Established Member
i don't think it rules out the driveshaft, because it's not rotating as fast anymore, i think im going to order a griggs shaft in spring,(thats the next time i'm going to drive it), unless anyone has anyother idea's

EddieGT

Life begins at 8 psi...
Established Member
My car's at the service shop right now... I'll keep you all posted on what they tell me, or if they even troubleshoot the problem.

It's in for a few other issues (engine tick, random stall, steering squeak)... All of this at 7200 miles!!!! Awesome performer...but still a Ford!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
svt1.8t said:
i don't think it rules out the driveshaft, because it's not rotating as fast anymore, i think im going to order a griggs shaft in spring,(thats the next time i'm going to drive it), unless anyone has anyother idea's

I was going to buy a PST Carbon fiber shaft but then I remembered Griggs a few days ago so I am going to try that one first since its half the cost I won't feel utterly stupid if it doesn't work.

I'm going to start "indexing" the shaft today to different positions to see if anything changes.. I'll keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread