Trying to figure out what I bought - 93 Cobra

01SVT_TruBLu

Hey Guys,

I picked up a 93 cobra over the weekend. The previous owner is a car collector and kept her in great shape. 33K miles!

There is some motor work done and I'm trying to figure out the specs. The owner purchased the car already worked with heads and cam. He put 300+ miles on her and put her away for 5 years.

What I was able to find out from the owner, is that it has AFR 185 Heads. He doesn't know the cam specs. The lope is mild but lets you know there's something there.

What are the requirements of the stock block or pistons in order to install AFR 185 heads?

I'm pulling out the FlowMasters (i call them DroneMasters) and tossing in magnaflow muffs.

When the rain lets off, I will post a link with a soundbyte or vidbyte of the motor so you can hear it.

What do you need to know from me to help answer the question?

Thanks in advance! :beer:

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
What are the requirements of the stock block or pistons in order to install AFR 185 heads?

the heads should be a direct bolt on...depending on the cam, aftermarket rockers may be required.

95StangRC

Established Member
I don't believe AFR 185 heads will work on a stock shortblock without notching the pistons

01SVT_TruBLu

did some more research......thanks everyone for the replies.

The previous owner is not sure of the heads and cam in there. AFR stated that the heads are stamped with the "165" or "185". I just need to get a small mirror to look between the back of the head and the firewall.

95StangRC you are right, there's work that needs to be done with the pistons to have a 185 whereas the 165 would work on the stock blocks with no modifications.

Buddah93.....yep that's her!

She's in the shop now getting the A/C 134 conversion done and charged. I should have her back tomorrow and hopefully then I can take a look at the heads.

From what I understand, there is no way to figure out the cam specs without pulling the cam out. Is that a correct statement?

Last edited by a moderator:

red95gts

Established Member
It would really depend on the cam specs. If the cam had short enough duration and wide enough lobe seperation, the 2.02" intake valve could easily clear a stock piston.

Like you mentioned, the AFR heads should be stamped with their part #. The camshaft would likely need to be degreed to figure out what it is. You could pull the cam out and look for markings on the tail end of it, but that's a big project just to find out what it is...

01SVT_TruBLu

took pic

Hey Guys,

work has been crazy lately. This is still a mystery I took some pictures to see if it would help identify what kind of heads.

DSC03097.gif

DSC03098.gif

DSC03102.gif

DSC03108.gif

DSC03110.gif

Thanks for your help!
:beer:

01SVT_TruBLu

I'm surprised Ken didn't pass along to you the previous owners info, the one who did the heads ?

Ken gave me a lot of paperwork which included the previous owner but the owner no longer resides at that address.

that would have made things alot easier lol

the reason why I'm trying to figure out what's installed is because I'm going to have her dyno tuned (SCT). she's running a little rich.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
The cam can be measured in the motor but you need a degree wheel and a micrometer. It is a little cumbersome but can be done by pulling a valve cover and measuring lift at the pushrod side of the rocker and then multiplying that peak lift number by the rocker ratio. Then put a degree wheel on the crank and measure both the intake and exhaust on one cylinder. Again... a little cumbersome but very doable. The heads aren't AFR as far as I can tell because they machine "AFR" in them.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Look similar to Aluminium Dart heads.

I would pull a valve cover and see if there are any part#s or names in the rocker area.

8URC6

God Bless America
Established Member
It's probably just a E cam, dont waist your time tearing apart a perfectly running engine. If the idle is just a little mild and your check engine light isn't on, it could be even smaller than a E-cam. After your dyno, w/ the hp numbers, that might help you to identify the cam too.

01SVT_TruBLu

It's probably just a E cam, dont waist your time tearing apart a perfectly running engine. If the idle is just a little mild and your check engine light isn't on, it could be even smaller than a E-cam. After your dyno, w/ the hp numbers, that might help you to identify the cam too.

Yes the car is running like a champ and I agree not to open her up to figure out what's there.....I didn't tear her apart to find out what heads, I wanted to change the water pump......long story short, I asked my mechanic to flush the antifreeze and he ended up putting in DexCool.....which I found out 200 miles later. :nono: Car ran fine but if Green flushed out, then Green goes back in....plus I heard horror stories of DexCool, a.k.a DeathCool. So me being lazy turned into using up my OE Water Pump (to be safe) and reflushing the cooling system. not sure if this was the short version or not lol:-D

so while I was in there, I took the time to look at the heads....she's back together and staying that way :rockon:

p.s. after all that..I may be selling her... :( I just found out I we are unexpectedly expecting our 1st! :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

01SVT_TruBLu

well congrats on whats expected!!!!!

if you sell, what would you be asking?

Thank you! been trying for a while....then we stop trying and bam! lol

not sure yet. I'll let you know when the time comes if you are seriously considering her. I'll post some pictures next weekend. I'll be away for work most of this week
:beer:

fivestangs

Established Member
I don't believe AFR 185 heads will work on a stock shortblock without notching the pistons

Don't mean to revive an old thread here, but, as an FYI, you CAN run AFR 185 heads on a stock shortblock...I'm doing it now... my cam is not stock though, I can't remember the specs on it, I'd have to go dig up the cam card but it's been in there forever :rolling:

01SVT_TruBLu

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to thank you all for your help......the mystery was finally uncovered yesterday afternoon. a week ago I had pulled off the valve covers to have them refreshed. Based on a tip from a member that they were Twisted Wedge Heads, i called Trick FLow and their tech support walked through on how to get serial numbers and how to identify the heads.

Turns out they are Twisted Wedge Heat Track Heads. The Tech stated that there were very good heads and good for 40 hp alone! So I'm pretty excited about this! Finally a mystery solved. but after all this I will be selling my 93 :( I will be ebaying her next week. thanks again guys!

Users who are viewing this thread