Trunk mounted intercooler tank benefits?

Termilvr

Established Member
I am debating on getting a chiseled performance tank for the trunk. does anyone have any info if it actually has cooling effects due to the larger capacity of fluid and the fact that it is in the trunk and not the hot engine bay or is the only benefit for the track and being able to put alot of ice in to cool in between runs.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I am debating on getting a chiseled performance tank for the trunk. does anyone have any info if it actually has cooling effects due to the larger capacity of fluid and the fact that it is in the trunk and not the hot engine bay or is the only benefit for the track and being able to put alot of ice in to cool in between runs.

In my opinion we need more i/c fluid no matter what. Now if you're going to run just on the street then a larger one under the hood should be enough.

but

If you track your car this is highly recommended by a lot of us that race. I had a larger one under the hood on my car and I cooled my car down properly to drag race it plus put as much ice in the tank as possible. My car never backhalved until I put the 5 gallon tank in the truck. If I bought a Terminator or a GT500 now it would be one of the first mod's I would do.

I absolutely love it!:rockon:

Termilvr

Established Member
I guess I'm asking will I run cooler on the street under the same conditions no ice trunk mount compared to the upgraded underhood tank I have now

misspelled from kindle fire

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Hmm that's a tough one right there. I know from driving mine on the street whenever I stopped my i/c fluid wasn't that hot to the touch with the 5 gallon cell. I can't remember how hot it used to be in the larger resevoir under the hood.

Maybe someone will chime in with more information but that's about all I got.

SVTDice

Established Member
I have a True Forged I/C Tank in the Engine bay, Paired up with a Afco Pro H/E And I can take it around for a brisk drive and it barely gets warm.

I sadly have no input for the I/C In the Trunk However I think its a great idea if you decide to go for it. All though it sounds a bit over kill for the street honestly.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
It would stand to reason that an IC tank in the hot engine bay is going to be hotter than one in the trunk.
The more fluid capacity there is the longer it takes to heat up.
It also helps to remove weight from the front of an already nose heavy car and put it where it needs to be. Over the rear axle.
Better front to rear weight distribution is a positive by product of locating it in the rear.

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
I am not positive on how this whole setup actually works. So the tank in the trunk replaces the one under the hood, or is it in addition to the one under the hood?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I am not positive on how this whole setup actually works. So the tank in the trunk replaces the one under the hood, or is it in addition to the one under the hood?

Yes the trunk tank replaces the one under the hood.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I wonder if there's any benefit to road racers. :shrug: Seems like it would work better to pack with a shit ton of ice before a pass down the strip.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
It would stand to reason that an IC tank in the hot engine bay is going to be hotter than one in the trunk.
The more fluid capacity there is the longer it takes to heat up.
It also helps to remove weight from the front of an already nose heavy car and put it where it needs to be. Over the rear axle.
Better front to rear weight distribution is a positive by product of locating it in the rear.

Don't forget about how hot that trunk gets in direct sunlight with no air circulation. I'm sure where you're at it's hot year round lol. Nice point about the engine bay heat though.

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
Yes but with the engine running and sun hitting the hood I could imagine the trunk still being cooler. Also depending where the lines run the exhaust radiating heat could be another problem, unless the lines are insulated?

Last edited:

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I'm curious to what trunk systems are seeing as far as IAT2's?

with my setup, I see consistent IAT2's in the 89* range with ambient temps 90*+, lower ambient temps my average drops. I see a slight spike after WOT on a 4 gear pull, sometimes up to 115* but drops quickly as throttle is opened and normalizes with a couple minutes. This was with my oldsetup that had the OEM IC tank insulated, I recently added a larger underhood IC tank, that is insulated as well. I hope with the additional volume the post run spike may decrease.

SVTDice

Established Member
I'm curious to what trunk systems are seeing as far as IAT2's?

with my setup, I see consistent IAT2's in the 89* range with ambient temps 90*+, lower ambient temps my average drops. I see a slight spike after WOT on a 4 gear pull, sometimes up to 115* but drops quickly as throttle is opened and normalizes with a couple minutes. This was with my oldsetup that had the OEM IC tank insulated, I recently added a larger underhood IC tank, that is insulated as well. I hope with the additional volume the post run spike may decrease.

Have you tested what your IAT2's are now with the new tank? The new tank gives you more cold fluid to play with during high speed runs, Etc. What tank did you end up going with?

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
Have you tested what your IAT2's are now with the new tank? The new tank gives you more cold fluid to play with during high speed runs, Etc. What tank did you end up going with?

not yet, being in Michigan its in hybernation till spring or till the salt is washed off the roads by several days of rain. :bash:

as far as type of tank. Its a LFP tank similar to a Lethal or PA tank. I added easily another gallon of coolant to IC system, where as before it wouldnt even take 1 gallon total. I went with the cheaper generic tank, since I had planned on insulating the tank entirely anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread