True trac user in here please.

I'D WIN

Established Member
You can use either...just don't add the friction modifier!

Personally, I would run the Mobile 1 synthetic 75W-140.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I'm using the regular Heavy duty gear oil. The truck shop that did my install said not to use the synthetic. That it was not thick enough when it got hot and would not lube as well as the regular gear oil. He also said the only reason that Ford uses the synthetic is to help meet the U.S. fuel standards

I'D WIN

Established Member
Just FYI~

"Detroit recommends Synthetic fluid with the Detroit Tru Trac install on all applications."

*I will call Detroit personally tomorrow to see if this is true.

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
I will contact Detroit tomorrow and see if that holds any truth as well. I just called the owner of Drivetrain Specialities and that is what he told me. He actually told me that Detroit prefers Redline Synthetic lubricants when installing any of their products.

More information~

The EATON locker which is similar to but uses clutches instead requires the heavy duty gear oil.

Like I said though, I will call Detroit tomorrow to get their personal opinion and to stop the guessing here..

Last edited:

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Scottie,

Have a brew fer cryin' out loud and relax. The RamJet guy has it all covered in the install. He uses synthetic because the gear oil is meant to lubricate the gears, the friction modifier was to make the clutch pack work.

After he is done. and you have a few miles on it, go ahead and pick another oil, Redline, Mobil, Royal Purple, or whatever. Just allow some break in time and make sure you don't need to go back for any other problems.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
FireGuy said:
Scottie,

Have a brew fer cryin' out loud and relax.

Scott does NOT know how to do that!! LOL! I swear he's like a woman in how he worries too much over things related to his L!!

Call a friend, Scott??? ;-) :poke:

Stewart :D

I'D WIN

Established Member
Stewart_H said:
Scott does NOT know how to do that!! LOL! I swear he's like a woman in how he worries too much over things related to his L!!

Call a friend, Scott??? ;-) :poke:

Stewart :D

Aint that the truth! I tell him that everytime he calls me! Just relax Big LA!

scott818

Banned
Alright alright. Enough with the Scott bashing. You guys know me all to well and yes i worry a lot. I just want to make sure, if I am spending the money, that everything is right. Is that so bad? Sheesh! And yes Stewart, I phoned many friends.....

I'D WIN

Established Member
scott818 said:
Alright alright. Enough with the Scott bashing. You guys know me all to well and yes i worry a lot. I just want to make sure, if I am spending the money, that everything is right. Is that so bad? Sheesh! And yes Stewart, I phoned many friends.....

Don't worry bud! Much love for ya!

Did you reclock your rotors yet?

I'D WIN

Established Member
So I talked to Detroit today...

They recommend Synthetic fluid all the way! They further stated that if you can use Redline oil, then use it and nothing else! It is the best oil on the market and they have seen nothing but positive things when using it with their Tru Trac systems.

The tech I spoke to on the phone said DO NOT get their Tru Trac setup confused with the EATON setup. Two completely different systems as the EATON uses clutches and requires different fluids. He told me has seen people get the two confused and use the wrong fluids on both.

They have also added additives when using the Tru Trac in the past with NO problems. I asked about using conventional heavy duty oil and they said IF you can use synthetic, USE SYNTHETIC. I said okay and have a nice day!

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Good info Martin it looks like when I put the TA Girdle on its getting Redline synthetic. And Im going to tell the guys over at Modifications Unlimited what Detroit Locker recommended

Users who are viewing this thread