Truck Won't Run

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
Ok heres the problem. I went done a full service on my truck about 200 miles ago. I noticed the next day when i started it it started weird, it shook like it was running on 4 cylinders. Well its got worse everyday now. Today after work i go to my truck, start it and its fires up and acts likes its running on 2 cylinders. Shaking, jumping, sounds just terrible. So i flip on my high idle switch to see if that will clear it up, well it doesn't. The rpm's are jumping around and it still acting like it's running on about 5 cylinders. I give it throttle it won't hardly rev up, goes to about 3,000 and thats it. Well i decided to try to make it back to the camper, as soon as it warms up it runs fine. Starts normal, revs normal, and acts like nothings wrong. It only does this when its cold.

Well last tuesday i started it and had to give it half throttle to keep it running. On the way to work it steadily loss power. After work i couldn't get it to run at all. I towed it to the ford dealer to get it fixed.

They keep it for a week and call and say the crankshaft sensor is bad thats the whole problem. Well they change it and the truck runs for about 30 seconds and dies. If you try to give it any throttle it dies. So they called the head diesel tech to see if they could trouble shoot it. They checked everything, fuel pressure, oil pressure, ficm, the main computer, everything is working like it should. They told me theres no reason the truck shouldn't run everything is working.

So they call me today and say all 8 injectors have to be changed. They said they all went out. All 8 at one time? I'm not a diesel tech but that sounds a lil strange. Anyway i'm left with no truck and the dealership has no clue whats wrong.:fm:

ModularFan

Established Member
Chances are your FICM took a dump, were you throwing any codes at the time? what are your mods, I know the HEUI isn't really mod friendly either. Could be your IPR or ICP as well.

Last edited:

tj04cobra

Established Member
+1 on the codes and mods. Codes would help out alot.

I just fixed a truck today tho that had your same concern tho. 05 6.0 with 118,000 miles on it. Cleaned the turbo a week ago cus it was sticking and it was also running rough the next morning after I put the latest calibration on it. Sold and Replaced three injectors (1,2&4) and warned customer that it may need a ficm soon due to a P0611- ficm performance code. Came back in today and when it started it ran rough as hell and barely would idle (just like you described your truck, exactly). Replaced ficm. test drove truck 50 miles and it turned out good.

Last edited:

04SVT-L

Established Member
what truck exactly and wat year? sounds to me like its a 03 or 04 6.0 and its the icp sensor. most likely the ficm did not go bad. it may need a new reprogram being that ford comes out with 3 new ficm reprograms a year.

Users who are viewing this thread