truck is studdering under hard load

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
well i dont drive the truck much in this cold weather here and when i do i baby it. well tonight i took it out and got on it a little and under hard accel there is a studder and there is little power.
Could this be from the 30 degree weather?

I shot a plug a few weeks ago and have not really drove the truck much since then and have not got on it at all....so im not sure if this is a problem from that.

any info on this subject would help.. I have also sent a pm to my tuner to se what he thinks.

Thanks
Dan

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
Definitely check the plugs.
How long ago did you change the fuel filter?

truck ran fine before the plug blowout a few weeks back....as for the fuel filter that has been on my to do list....i would guess it is original...62k on the clock and i have had the truck for 10k miles.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
The fuel filter should be changed every 7,000 miles IIRC. I change mine at every oil change. Its cheap insurance. A dirty fuel filter will reduce flow possibly causing a lean condition.

As far as your problem you may have burnt a plug or more. I'd change the plugs (or at least pull them and inspect) and change the fuel filter. What did you do to fix the launched plug?

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
The fuel filter should be changed every 7,000 miles IIRC. I change mine at every oil change. Its cheap insurance. A dirty fuel filter will reduce flow possibly causing a lean condition.

As far as your problem you may have burnt a plug or more. I'd change the plugs (or at least pull them and inspect) and change the fuel filter. What did you do to fix the launched plug?

the plug was fixed with a timesert.

i will change the fuel filter asap

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Coil??? My truck would run fine under light load but if i buried it the truck would break up in a bad way. Turned out to be #7 coil pack

ecoastkid

Established Member
the tab that holds the coil down...did break off, how would i test somthing like that?

When the plug launched, it probably damaged the coil pack in addition to the tab.. Replace it. It needs to be held down.

When my buddy lauched a plug, there were a few pieces of coil pack around to be found..lol

slick4_6

Established Member
well i dont drive the truck much in this cold weather here and when i do i baby it. well tonight i took it out and got on it a little and under hard accel there is a studder and there is little power.
Could this be from the 30 degree weather?

Mine does the same thing when it is cold and I keep the fuel filter changed evertime I change the oil. I think mine is my plugs because I do not know when they were changed last. I'm gonna replace them and if that does not fix it I guess I will let the local Ford dealership check the coil packs. Mine does it at anything over half throttle in OD when it starts getting up to 8-10lbs of boost. I have a narrowband which is not the best but it goes nuts when it starts studdering.

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
Mine does the same thing when it is cold and I keep the fuel filter changed evertime I change the oil. I think mine is my plugs because I do not know when they were changed last. I'm gonna replace them and if that does not fix it I guess I will let the local Ford dealership check the coil packs. Mine does it at anything over half throttle in OD when it starts getting up to 8-10lbs of boost. I have a narrowband which is not the best but it goes nuts when it starts studdering.

so ur saying when it is warmer out it is fine?

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
While truck is running. pull one coil pack off at a time. you should notice change in idle. If you do not, then thats the bad coil pack. There is a wand you can buy that you just put up to the coil pack, and it will tell you if its good. But there around $85. There is also a how to I believe on using a voltmeter to check the coil packs.

I would lean towards the coil pack being bad after the plug shot.
Try some Electronics cleaner on the connectors.

As far as the tab you said you broke off, thats fine, just ever now and then reach in and make sure the plug didn't slide off.

Fuel Filter is a must change every other oil change.
the Fuel filter removal tool is $5, the fuel filter is $10. Total time to take fuel filter off, 1 minute. A lot cheaper than buying a new motor....

also the timecert or helicoil could be bad....whichever was used to fix it...

Cant trust a narrow band for anything but a light show. they go wild all the time....

Under the hood, there is also a high speed relay that could possibly go bad. Under WOT, the relay does not kick in, causing a lean condition.....

Have you tried datalogging a WOT run?

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
While truck is running. pull one coil pack off at a time. you should notice change in idle. If you do not, then thats the bad coil pack. There is a wand you can buy that you just put up to the coil pack, and it will tell you if its good. But there around $85. There is also a how to I believe on using a voltmeter to check the coil packs.

I would lean towards the coil pack being bad after the plug shot.
Try some Electronics cleaner on the connectors.

As far as the tab you said you broke off, thats fine, just ever now and then reach in and make sure the plug didn't slide off.

Fuel Filter is a must change every other oil change.
the Fuel filter removal tool is $5, the fuel filter is $10. Total time to take fuel filter off, 1 minute. A lot cheaper than buying a new motor....

also the timecert or helicoil could be bad....whichever was used to fix it...

Cant trust a narrow band for anything but a light show. they go wild all the time....

Under the hood, there is also a high speed relay that could possibly go bad. Under WOT, the relay does not kick in, causing a lean condition.....

Have you tried datalogging a WOT run?

I have not datalogged anything, i have a predator but barley know how to use it.
I plan on changing out the fuel filter then going from there...

How would taking off the coil at idle work? the truck runs fine untill i mash it.

the truck didnt trip a cel, wouldnt it do that if there was a misfire?

Users who are viewing this thread