Truck bogs with anything more than half throttle.

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
Trying to get some feedback on this over the weekend, it's been a slow progressive thing (this issue), and gotten slowly worse over the last year or so.

Here's what it is:
Stock '04 Lightning with mild mods, (daily driver/work truck)
AEM short ram intake
Accufab single blade throttle body
Custom built exhaust from headers back
RPM Outlet cog pulley kit (adds 4#s of boost with zero belt slip)
Predator hand held tuner dyno tuned (professionally)
58,xxx miles

Here's what it's doing:
Under normal driving conditions (think freeways and some city traffic), the truck will bog down and stop accelerating if i use anything more then half throttle. - It's fine for avoiding traffic tickets and saving some mpg but i'm only having half the fun here!!

The shop is no longer in business that dyno tuned the truck for me back in '07. They were reputable, professional, and did a great job for me, but unfortunately i really don't know of any local shops that cater to our SVT vehicles any more.

After a little research from word of mouth (and from past troubles with it), my attention is being directed to the TPS sensor, now i have replaced it before back in '06 (when i first installed the throttle body), so it's an easy thing to replace but is that really it??

I've also used the Predator handheld tuner to check for any codes stored in the trucks OBD system, no codes are present.

Any suggestions guys?

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Fuel filter. When was that last time it was replaced? If not within the last 8-10K then change it, if that's not it then replace the spark plugs with NGK TR6's gapped to .038".

If possible you should check fuel pressure at idle with the vacuum reference removed and capped. It should read 39 psi. You may also have a ruptured/dislodged line in the fuel tank.

1990stanggt

Established Member
I'm subscribing, I have the same problem. I've heard the same things mentioned above and am checking them as time allows. Might also be a bad COP, that's my next thing to be checking.

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
Fuel filter has been replaced about two thousand miles ago and i recalibrated the TPS today, same thing. (Problem was present before any adjustments or replaced items)
I've looked around under the hood too but have no professional automotive experience, (not too sure what to look for), saw some fittings and vacum lines but everything looks plugged in.

"check fuel pressure at idle with the vacuum reference removed and capped"
- May be the next thing on the checklist.

"replace the spark plugs with NGK TR6's gapped to .038"
- Hoping that this is the last resort, i've been told it's a tedious task.
I have some of those spark plugs too, just don't think i have all the tools to install them. (I'm sure that car guy friends can help with this though).

Thanks for the ideas and input guys, feel free to add anything that you can, it might help others too if we can get to the bottom of this together.

Last edited:

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
I'm subscribing, I have the same problem. I've heard the same things mentioned above and am checking them as time allows. Might also be a bad COP, that's my next thing to be checking.

Not sure what a COP is, will google it,
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_performance[/ame]

Are you suggesting that the heat exchanger may have failed?

Last edited:

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
Ok, update time.

Fuel filter has been replaced, Spark plugs have been replaced (have cuts and pics if nec.), tps has been replaced, (will check voltage tomorrow), MAF is clean but can be replaced if nec.

TPS voltage will be right tomorrow when it's socially acceptable, (my truck is loud as ****!).

IAF looks good, wtf am i doing wrong here?

Truck has just over 60K, synthetic oil used on time, EVERY time, work truck, daily driver. Why has Ford made it so hard here?

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
Stumbles and bogs with anything more than a third throttle. (Still).

Almost wish i had some shady friends in Texas or Florida at this point, they seem to make all well for them and their families, while making everything worse for the rest of the nation.

Just want the truck running well, it doesn't produce any smoke from the tailpipes at all (which is weird with no cats). It's my worktruck!
I need it so it can take me from job to job in this 30 mile wide valley.

So i can pay rent for us and our 5 year old son.

- Yea, i'm not greedy. Just want my work truck to run right, so i can go from job to job, (so i can pay for a roof over my sons head).

Either you guys can't help (which is fine), or don't want to help..
I don't expect much help from any of you here since the economy is so bad.
(Think of YOUR family first right?).

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
Fuel filter. When was that last time it was replaced? If not within the last 8-10K then change it, if that's not it then replace the spark plugs with NGK TR6's gapped to .038".

If possible you should check fuel pressure at idle with the vacuum reference removed and capped. It should read 39 psi. You may also have a ruptured/dislodged line in the fuel tank.

This is a great response, thank you for it.
Plugs are awesome and gapped as so, the fuel pumps will be tested tomorrow if the tps adjustment shows no positive results.

stangmanfive0

Neighborhood Jugernaught
Established Member
hey man my truck is doing the same thing i have done about every thing listed on your list trust me i know its frustrating .. im going to have to end up towing my truck out to my tuner first part of this week . .. if i had an awnser for you i would tell you i jsut replace my IAC idle air controler located on the top left of the intake plentom held on by 2 5/16 bolts had the smae issue with the truck before cleaned it with carb cleanr put it back on fired right up so i figured thats got to be it so bought a new sensor and wasnt the problem clean my maf fuel filter changed plugs my COP's are less than year old .. its weird seems, check all my vac lines and everything seems to be ok.. good luck best thing i can tell you is do a search for a tuner out by vegas taht messes with these things because it could be a long list of things from all the research i have done. i jsut dont want to start replacing everythign and it to be the last part or sensor put on so im jsut sending it to a ase cert mech that has his own tunning shop and let him look it over and hopefully he can put his thumb on it by mid week if thats the case i will do my best to send you a pm with what the problem is in hopes yours might be the same thing. my best wishes to you and your family... sorry for the inproper grammer its a damn internet fourm not a college term paper and its 6 in the morning here been messing with my truck all weekend and starting to get frustrated ...

stangmanfive0

Neighborhood Jugernaught
Established Member
also had a miss last year on my truck ended up being a small leak in the egr some where had my tuner turn off the egr in the tune .. not sure if yours is still on the tune but may be something to check into ... have heard nothing but crappy things about trucks that still run there egr 's

good luck again your truck sounds like it has the same inssue as mine .. progressivily got worse over about 2 weeks then started cutting out really bad not the truck wonte even run longer than a min without dieing

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
I see you guys can sense my frustration, sorry about the lil eco vent there.
Thank you for the feedback/leads/links etc.

- Can also trade work for work, (not sure if i can mention that here though due to not being a vendor).

Edit:
I can still drive the truck around, just the same issue so far.
(Went back to the stock tune in the Predator as well, for 91 octane).

Last edited:

stangmanfive0

Neighborhood Jugernaught
Established Member
well guys i got back in town the other day . put some fuel treatment in before i left and started it up and was still doing the same thing. got back in town to move around the cars and get the truck lined up for the tow truck and waht do you know she fires right up and keeps running. Looks liek i got a bad tank of gas still ahve over a half tank to burn through to be sure.

truck is still going to my tuner later this week once i get ahold od DMR to get my egr delete. going to have my tuner take the blower off clean the intercooler and get out a COP Bolt that bork off when i was putting in the new plugs. gonna have him do a once over on the whole truck and put a winter tune on the old girl..

glad to find out it was jsut some bad gas not some fuel pumps or somethign else

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
well guys i got back in town the other day . put some fuel treatment in before i left and started it up and was still doing the same thing. got back in town to move around the cars and get the truck lined up for the tow truck and waht do you know she fires right up and keeps running. Looks liek i got a bad tank of gas still ahve over a half tank to burn through to be sure.

truck is still going to my tuner later this week once i get ahold od DMR to get my egr delete. going to have my tuner take the blower off clean the intercooler and get out a COP Bolt that bork off when i was putting in the new plugs. gonna have him do a once over on the whole truck and put a winter tune on the old girl..

glad to find out it was jsut some bad gas not some fuel pumps or somethign else

Ok, we are making progress here.

Here's an update from me:
Truck is doing the same thing but, runs a little smoother with the new plugs, and them being gapped properly, (of course). Glad i got the sparkplug install done, learned volumes from it and now know a way to help other locals that need the plug install done. A friend and i can do it for $300 but will need the truck for 4 hours.

Back to the tech aspect of it.

There was a tsb (technical service bulletin) that went out to Ford dealership techs recently (i do not have the date), but it basically says that anytime you are flashing or installing a tune, you need to make sure the voltage in the vehicle is tip-top. Think, belt chime reminders, interior dome lights, brake pedal, stereo etc.
Something i overlooked last year when my battery was dying and i was installing a tune from my predator..

Bottom line, the four codes that i have tell me i need a new PCM.
(Hope this helps others).

Users who are viewing this thread