Truck Audio Question

jangocast

Established Member
I'm looking into upgrading my Lightning sound system and for the speakers I have chosen to go with Focal Utopia 6.5 165W. Now I do want to do another set of these for the rear but I'm afraid of buying them and the 6.5 won't fit in the rear. I have tried searching to find if 6.5 will work in the rear but haven't found anything.

Unfortunalty Focla doesn't make a 5x7 or 6x8 speaker so what would you guys recommend for a rear speaker if the 6.5 do not fit? I want VERY clean sound.

Thanks

trueblue4ver

Established Member
You can get or make speaker brackets to make the 6.5" fit in the 6x8 hole. And also do you have subs or plan on getting subs? B/c if you do then you really dont want speakers in the back for proper stageing. If you dont plan on them then go ahead and make brackets or buy them and i would def. advise putting an amp to them. Makes them much more clear and vocal. Good luck! Any more quastions??

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I got my adapter plates on E-Bay for like $5. for the pair. I could have easily made them, but for $5 why bother with the mess. I have Polk MOMO 6.5's in the doors but I was more concerned with depth problems in the rear so I ended up getting the 6x8's for back there. I don't think there is really a difference between the sound quality of the two sets, but after taking the back paneling all apart I would have been fine with just about any 6.5" speaker that I looked at.

CHICOSVT

Established Member
There is no need for u to put speakers in the back at least not if ur goin with the Utopias. Those are some of the best speakers out there. I'm positive 165 watts is more than enough man.

jangocast

Established Member
Well my full set up will be:

Eclipse Indash with Navi
Focal Utopia 6.5 165W front and back
2 Aluminum Eclipse 12" subs
Subs powered by Zapco 1100Wx1
Speakers powered by Zapco 360x4

Let me know what you think...you guys said if I'm getting some subs don't worry about the rear Focals. Well if I do get the rear focals will it make it sound just that much better or will there be interference with the subs? LMK thanks.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
How much leg room lost with those 12's? I was told i couldn't do more than 2-8's if i wanted to remain comfortable. I'm looking at the MTX thunderforms tho, just wondering if 2-10W3's would clear or not.

Last edited:

KillTeam

Established Member
SVTman75 said:
How much leg room lost with those 12's? I was told i couldn't do more than 2-8's if i wanted to remain comfortable. I'm looking at the MTX thunderforms tho, just wondering if 2-10W3's would clear or not.

im looking at the thunderforms too - i haven't done enough research to pull the trigger though....

noahdr

Established Member
no leg space taken up here...nice simple setup for me..

33_3.jpg

Boston Acoustics 6" SL80 in the front and FXB 5x7's in the rear. The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P9600MP.

tharsis

Established Member
My new system is all Fo Cal speakers.. They're ****ing awesome. Crystal clear even with the volume all the way up.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Here is one place I was looking at for a custom box.
Here is another.
They both have some pretty nice looking set ups for regular cab F-150's.
I have a set of Rockford Fosgate Punch HE's that I am thinking about putting in one of these. I also like the one on the first link that has a spot for just one 12" sub. It looks like it will give you some room to mount an amp too.

Chi3f

Established Member
i put in the kenwood excelon 6x8's all the way around. Feeding them all 100w rms. Sounds 10x better then stock.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
My headphones for my Ipod sound 10x better than stock....:poke:

Does anyone else notice a major loss in sound quality when you open the windows a little bit? I thought maybe I hooked one of the speakers up reversed but I checked and they were ok. Whenever I put the window down, it seems like the sound quality goes......well, out the window :lol:

KillTeam

Established Member
noahdr said:
no leg space taken up here...nice simple setup for me..

33_3.jpg

Boston Acoustics 6" SL80 in the front and FXB 5x7's in the rear. The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P9600MP.

how do you like the thunderform? is it decent for the price?

Users who are viewing this thread