Truck and trailer thread???

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Here's a combination made for each other. My buddy's red 99 behind my red 08.

Wonder if I can talk him into buying a black version of this truck and we can just swap????

IMG_7764.jpg

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
After driving the Miata to and from the Glen last week, and to and from Summit Point this weekend.....even with the stock/race seats swapped, it still was a very annoying and uncomfortable ride. Based on the lack of spousal approval for a tow vehicle, it looks like I'll be pulling the tire trailer for at least the rest of this year.

However...with the car at 2300 pounds, and a shorty 15' aluminum trailer at 1000 pounds or so, I could pull it with almost anything. I'm sure there are plenty of cheapo F150's or Chevy/GMC standard pickups out there.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Here is my current rig. A 2002 F250 V10 truck and an ATC 18' aluminum open trailer.
52007sebring002.jpg

I've reached a point that I need to go enclosed. If someone is looking for an aluminum open, this one is available. Since I can get a truck where I am getting the trailer, I would be willing to sell the truck too.

If this is what you are looking for, let me know.

brkntrxn

Established Member
However...with the car at 2300 pounds, and a shorty 15' aluminum trailer at 1000 pounds or so, I could pull it with almost anything. I'm sure there are plenty of cheapo F150's or Chevy/GMC standard pickups out there.

Troy,

A buddy of mine just bought a 15 or 16' aluminum trailer and a used Chevy Colorado to pull his gutted 350Z. The Colorado is a 5 cylinder and does just fine with his combination. I don't know if that expands your options or not. But I would think that a Colorado 5 cylinder has to be about the same power as a Ranger with a 4.0. I have seen plenty of 4.0 Rangers pulling Fox body drag cars weighing around 3k lbs. Of course, you won't have the braking capacity as a newer standard size truck (which was my #1 complaint with my 98 F150).

TroyV

Established Member
Thanks. I like the compact size of the Colorado/Ranger package.

I figure I'll just get SS lines and run an aggressive pad on the truck. LOL

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator

Although a 'chick' vehicle you might check out a 05/06 Liberty CRD. You can pick'em up for cheap and I get ~20mpg towing with it.

TroyV

Established Member
Well... the Miata is considered a chick vehicle as well....maybe this is a fit. :)

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Troy, don't rule out a van. Lots of cheap ones out there, with a somewhat light trailer it should be no problem.

I've been browsing the VIR History site, and guess what it reminded me?
They used to use station wagons in the olden days, right Dave?

el-7304-030.jpg

Look in background
rp-1068-10.jpg

Who needs a fancy trailer?
el-6809-20.JPG

rp-0569-02.jpg

sc17-03.GIF

rg-6404-19.JPG

All of the above have more covered storage than an open pickup truck.
Yeah, they knew how to live back then. :rockon:

el-6604-008.jpg

cottrell-7104-01.JPG

74-apr-pix2.JPG

67-10-002.JPG

03roush

01 Roush Stage 3 #106
Established Member
Here is my current rig. A 2002 F250 V10 truck and an ATC 18' aluminum open trailer.
52007sebring002.jpg

I've reached a point that I need to go enclosed. If someone is looking for an aluminum open, this one is available. Since I can get a truck where I am getting the trailer, I would be willing to sell the truck too.

If this is what you are looking for, let me know.

How much for the trailer and what year is it.

David Hester

Established Member
LOL
I know a guy that STILL hauls with a station wagon...
come to think about it, I think it may be the same one in the picture, as least the same model complete with real fake woody sides.
As far as the bikinis... still around, you just have to go to a bike race.
Speaking of, working turn 6 at Road Atlanta years ago during an AMA race.
Turn around and saw a gal in a tiny bikini on top of a motorhome with several guys. Copius alcohol being comsumed as evident by all the beer cans landing close to the trash barrel below the rig. Heard a commotion and turned around. She was standing there with a beer in each hand and her bikini bottom pulled down around her ankles by one of her "friends".
Glad I'm above all that.

Last edited:

tito_146

Established Member
I tow my car with the Explorer Eddie Bauer. I have the 4.6 v8 with tow package and load leveling bars. Trailer has brakes in both axles and made fully of aluminum. I get around 13 mpg 65 - 70 all loaded. Here in Fl we dont have hills or mountains, so it is on OD all the way. My tracks are Sebring, Palm Beach International Raceway and Homestead. The Explorer doesnt complaint one bit. It is also very stable and I have gotten no surprisses yet. I'll see if I dig up some pics. Here they are:

imageshack1u.jpg

Orlando

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
question: I just bought a 38' Exiss gooseneck trailer. It weighs a bit over 6k lbs empty.
My '02 F250 long bed is rated to tow 14k lbs. It seems from the Ford people that Ive talked to that the SRW F250 will pull this trailer just fine. But EVERYBODY that hauls a trailer like this has a dually.

Why is that?

cm04cobra

Established Member
Trailer

Nice looking trailer.

FWIW, I had a similar question when we bought our 48' trailer this year. I called and spoke with state DOT officer about how they determine what vehicle can tow what trailer. He told me that all they care about is overloading of the axles or tires on the truck and trailer. He siad they do not care about what a vehicles owners manual says simply because they would have to have manuals for every vehicle made. The rear tires on our F250 would have been overloaded so we were forced to switch to a F350 dually.

It would be ugly having a rear blow out pulling/stopping that much weight.

The F350 with a 48' trailer pulls much better then the F250 pulled an 18' open tag trailer I used last year. It’s amazing how straight it goes down the road.

Every trailer saleman I spoke with prior to the purchase told me to figure 25% of the loaded trailers weight will be on the rear axel of the truck

brkntrxn

Established Member
AAHHHHHH, I finally figured out how some of you get such better mileage than me. You live in the flatlands. A whole gaggle of us went down to Roebling Road this weekend and ran an event with The Dark Side. Towing 75mph, I was getting 13.1mpg... that is 1.5mpg better than I get going to VIR (with an open trailer). Why? Because it was a flat haul all the way across SC and GA. For me to go to VIR, I hit the hills of NC and VA. Not mountains, but hills and they do seem to make a difference. Running around RRR all weekend without the trailer, I got 17.3mpg... that is the best mileage I have ever seen out of my truck.

brianz426

Established Member
Damn. Yes they did! Where are the bikini's at our events?

Great pics though. Thanks for posting them up.

John

Great pics Greg, I really love the one with the 2 Dodge A100 vans in it. My old neighbor raced motorcycles in the summer when we were kids. His dad took out all the back benches except 1. The family of 5 would leave for the weekend with 2 motorcycles and all their gear in that van, open windows and no A/C. Ah, the good old days.

Users who are viewing this thread