Truck and trailer thread???

DocB

Established Member
ATP Aluminum Diamond Plate

I am about ready to order an enclosed trailer that will be used for all my hauling needs. Race car, general purpose, and maybe even RVing out of.

ATP aluminum diamond plate seems to be the most durable for its weight (steel would be the best, but too heavy).

What are the negatives to this type of flooring?

Your experiences and advice greatly appreciated.

Maynor

Established Member
I am about ready to order an enclosed trailer that will be used for all my hauling needs. Race car, general purpose, and maybe even RVing out of.

ATP aluminum diamond plate seems to be the most durable for its weight (steel would be the best, but too heavy).

What are the negatives to this type of flooring?

Your experiences and advice greatly appreciated.

Slippery when wet... Also, if you ever sleep in your trailer, it transmit more cold through the floor up to your mattress.

Very durable however. I have it on my trailer door ramp and 1' x 2' section under each wheel. The rest of my floor is rubber coin.

John

David Hester

Established Member
I Agree with Rob. Fine for under wheels, maybe even 2 tracks back to front but I wouldn't want for entire floor- I've used bare wood- not good, painted wood- ok, and vinyl- fairly durable and cleans up easily. My ramp door is diamond plate. Not only slippery when wet, but when dry as well. Could imagine wet driver's shoes being a biotch on it.

DocB

Established Member
Maynor- how do you like the rubber coin? Durable? Is it actually rubber or vinyl? Is it 1'x1' pieces or larger?

Maynor

Established Member
Doc,

Very happy with the rubber coin flooring. I haven't been able to gouge it yet with all the work i do in trailer and it's very durable. It also adds an element of sound damping in the trailer which is nice. It's real rubber as far as I can tell its one continuous piece, installed like carpet. Good traction wet or dry.

DocB

Established Member
Thanks. The rubber coin was my second choice and sounds practical.
I have seen trailers with rubber coin floor, with ATP runners, as mentioned.
What's the sense in putting slippery ATP right where the wet tires run?
Does the rubber coin not stand up to "hot" or "sticky" tires?

Maynor

Established Member
The rubber holds up just fine with hot or wet tires. I dont use ATP runners. Just ATP under the tire patch to prevent grinding the inevitable stones the tires pickup, into the floor during the transport. Plus, it helps to consistently position the car in the trailer with 4 small patches to park on.

I would highly recommend e-track on the floor and on both walls. It gives you a ton of flexibility tying down not just the car, but non car loads as well.

DocB

Established Member
Any trouble cleaning the rubber coin? Does it sweep out easily? Does dirt get stuck between the coins? Is it impervious to petroleum products?

TIA for your info in helping me. It's a big decision I will have to live with for a long time.

Maynor

Established Member
No problems cleaning it. The rubber has slightly raised "coins" that really don't catch anything in them so sweeping it out is easy. Similar to this:
LBPS7D-MD700.jpg

I've had oil and axle fluid spills on a fairly regular basis. After, hitting the spills with brake cleaner and paper towels, the floor has held up without any changes.

You'll like it. Ideally, try to find a trailer place that has a model with it installed so you can see if it's what you really want. You likely will but it's nice to see it in person.

DocB

Established Member
TXPD- Let's see, let's see!

Maynor-I've been trying to find a local trailer dealer within a 250 mile radius that has a 32, 34, 36 foot GN in stock so that I can compare and make up my mind on length, and also look at different options in person. Have not really had any luck with this. Kind of leaning toward a Vintage Outlaw.

wheelhopper

Established Member
just sold my old towing package and bought a fresh one. pictures soon.

Me too!

I am a couple steps behind you though. I simply bought a 24' Vnose, that was a bare shell. The price was decent and this is just to hold me over a couple years untill I get the 28' that I really want.

Users who are viewing this thread