Troubleshoot please! TONS of white smoke after car died at 30mph!!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hi everybody, I know this might be the wrong thread and that this question may already be answered but when I searched using forum tools, I didn't exactly find the same problem. Also I know this is a huge post so I'm really appreciative of anyone's time who tries to help out

I just picked up the cobra in my signature last night but the damned things happened on the drive home.

The car started to smoke a little bit about 2-3 miles after I left the sellers house so I decided to clutch it and coast to the upcoming redlight instead of downshift progressively. As the car came to a stop, the motor died. I tried to turn it on with no luck. Luckily though, a friend of mine tagged along for the sale and was able to push the car onto a 7/11 parking lot. We left it there and headed to an autozone to buy a battery as the seller had said the battery was too old and would likely start dying often.

Installed the battery and the car ran great for a few hours of stop/start short interval driving. (I did drive it about 15 minutes straight right after the install though).

Well, Night time came around and I clicked on the headlights and noticed they were very dim, same with my radio controls. Moments later the engine died while traveling at 35-40mph. I tried to turn it on with no luck. I tried clutch dropping it with terrible luck of tons of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Ended up getting the car home but only after 3 jump starts and driving with the headlights off.

Heres what I do know:
-battery is brand new, but is located in the trunk via a relocation kit with a taylor box.
-alternator looks new and has a good amount of coil left.
-car smokes a bit in general due to needing oil restrictor's for the turbos.
-car runs and drives great when headlights/aux/ac are off.

Here are some possible culprits:
-Could their be an issue with ground wiring from the trunk relocation?
-Could the alternator simply be bad? Headlights and aux stereo lights went dim right before the car died everytime.
-Lastly, their was a nitrous kit located in the trunk that was hastily removed by a previous seller, could a ground wire still connected for that kit be shorting out the car?
The kit was a zex 150 shot with a remote actuator and bottle heater so I am pretty sure that a ground wire would have been need as power would have been drawn for those features. The toggles for those features are on the center council near the traction control botton (actuator) and in the center storage unit just south of the cupholders (bottle heater).

And lastly, Here is my main concern:
-while clutching the car at 30mph to try and get it to start up, tons and I mean tons of white smoke came out of the exhaust pipes. A person driving by literally commented "dude dude dude, your cars on fire get out of it!!!" I could see the smoke in the mirrors but just assumed oil was pulled through the turbos and was burning in the exhaust.

Anyways I know this is a really long post so my apologies and thanks for any incite on what could be wrong.

blowbyyou

Established Member
Hey! This sucks to hear, but it sounds like the alternator has gone. Those are all the typical signs of the alternator going out. Call up Heath or Brock and I bet they could get that fixed. As far as the white smoke it is most likely the residual that dumped into the turbo's when it died and then when you dropped the clutch it burned it all out. Anytime you would get into it and those turbo's got too much oil it dumped smoke out. Get those resistors put on and I bet you never see that again. Let me know how it goes

Last edited:

jetmech

Established Member
Before you start throwing parts at it, take the alt off and have it checked at a parts store to see if it has proper output. If it is good then something is obviuosly draining the battery. bad grounds, short to ground, all can be a headache. Secondly, Blowbyyou there is something called bad tech and you just gave a good example of that. Please don't give tech if you have no idea what you are talking about. The oil used to cool the turbos have nothing to do with residual oil from a shut down. That residual oil should flow back into the oil pan from the turbos the oil that turbo uses and it is sealed off so it does not enter the exhaust. I would first get a compression check done and if it all checks out pull the turbos and see if the oil seals are bad in the turbos. If that all checks out I would check to make sure your crank case is not getting pressurized due to bad PCV or in proper line routing.

blowbyyou

Established Member
Secondly, Blowbyyou there is something called bad tech and you just gave a good example of that. Please don't give tech if you have no idea what you are talking about. The oil used to cool the turbos have nothing to do with residual oil from a shut down. That residual oil should flow back into the oil pan from the turbos the oil that turbo uses and it is sealed off so it does not enter the exhaust. I would first get a compression check done and if it all checks out pull the turbos and see if the oil seals are bad in the turbos. If that all checks out I would check to make sure your crank case is not getting pressurized due to bad PCV or in proper line routing.

Thanks for letting me know, but I actually KNOW what the cause of the smoke is. The OP just bought the car from my brother and is aware of what it is as well, it needs oil resistors installed for the turbos they are litterally getting too much oil in them. Same issue OP had on his last TT Cobra, but thanks again for telling me something that obviously I know what the cause is. The shop that installed and tuned the car have already talked to the OP about it and have already ordered the parts to get the smoking taken care of. So yes it was just too much oil in the turbos that made it smoke, if it was a bad seal it would always smoke. But just my 2 cents take it for what it is or just ignore it.

jetmech

Established Member
So you are saying you knew the turbos had bad seals when it was sold to him? If it was run like that prior to the OP buying the car then yes it would have damaged the seals. So since you know so much about the car you might as well tell the OP why he is having electrical issues and I doubt it's just the alternator. Sounds like there are some more issues that have not been revealed to the OP. Just my 2 cents... OP I'll be curious to see what the fix is for your issues so keep us updated.

blowbyyou

Established Member
So you are saying you knew the turbos had bad seals when it was sold to him? If it was run like that prior to the OP buying the car then yes it would have damaged the seals. So since you know so much about the car you might as well tell the OP why he is having electrical issues and I doubt it's just the alternator. Sounds like there are some more issues that have not been revealed to the OP. Just my 2 cents... OP I'll be curious to see what the fix is for your issues so keep us updated.

Wow you are right! How did you ever guess?? Considering the car has maybe 30 miles on it with the TT kit, and the TT kit came off the OP TT cobra and this cobra is his other cobra that he just purchased back so if the seals were blown then the OP would have been the one that sold the TT kit with blown seals, so why would he want it back? The battery light came on, the OP was told and knows that even after a charge the battery light was still on. Car dies, OP replaces battery it runs good until it drains the battery again....just common sense that the most likely thing would be the alternator not charging the battery when the car is running. The only thing that changed mechanically since the OP sold this cobra and then bought it back was an install of the TT kit that came off his 2nd cobra. Unless he replaced the alternator before when he owned it, that was not touched. The Zex kit was removed by the person he sold it to.

But I forget that you know me so well and that you know I would be the one to go and screw someone else over. What is funny is that the car was not even for sale, the OP saw a post on here that I posted pictures of the car and got in contact with me and my brother and OP is the one that made the offer to buy the car back. Otherwise it would still be my brothers car. But thanks again for trying. OP already had appt to get the car into a shop and has oil resistors, fuel system, and new tires on order before he even purchased the car. Guess they will have to trace the Zex kit wires and see if that is shorting out somewhere, but not really sure how that would kill batteries. The alternator is not charging the battery, and all the symptoms the OP stated are common of a bad alternator.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Usually oil smoke is bluish. White smoke is coolant. I'd do a compression check and leak down to make sure the head gaskets are ok. What is the temp gauge showing when you see the white smoke?

Last edited:

jetmech

Established Member
Wow you are right! How did you ever guess?? Considering the car has maybe 30 miles on it with the TT kit, and the TT kit came off the OP TT cobra and this cobra is his other cobra that he just purchased back so if the seals were blown then the OP would have been the one that sold the TT kit with blown seals, so why would he want it back? The battery light came on, the OP was told and knows that even after a charge the battery light was still on. Car dies, OP replaces battery it runs good until it drains the battery again....just common sense that the most likely thing would be the alternator not charging the battery when the car is running. The only thing that changed mechanically since the OP sold this cobra and then bought it back was an install of the TT kit that came off his 2nd cobra. Unless he replaced the alternator before when he owned it, that was not touched. The Zex kit was removed by the person he sold it to.

But I forget that you know me so well and that you know I would be the one to go and screw someone else over. What is funny is that the car was not even for sale, the OP saw a post on here that I posted pictures of the car and got in contact with me and my brother and OP is the one that made the offer to buy the car back. Otherwise it would still be my brothers car. But thanks again for trying. OP already had appt to get the car into a shop and has oil resistors, fuel system, and new tires on order before he even purchased the car. Guess they will have to trace the Zex kit wires and see if that is shorting out somewhere, but not really sure how that would kill batteries. The alternator is not charging the battery, and all the symptoms the OP stated are common of a bad alternator.

Wow, dude lightnen up, you're sounding very defensive. Relax just trying to help the OP. I just would have thought he would have come to you before posting on a forum if you guys were on the same page. Again, sorry just trying to help the OP. OP please go and have the car checked out by some place you trust. And start with a compression check.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What's up everybody? Thanks for all the replies and sorry to stir up hostility. Blowbyu hasn't done anything underhanded or shady, the car is simply a custom build so oem levels of refinement take time to figure out but thanks for being a voice of reason and looking out for me jetmech. The alternator ended up being the problem. Plain and simple, sorry for all te mellow drama.

In the afternoon I started taking off the intake manifold, undoing all the cold side plumbing and finally got go the alternator to find it was definitely bad. I went to an autoparts store, had it tested(failed) and then started trying to find a replacement. Ended up running across town a bit because in the end, what was assumed to be a
Lincoln navigator 5.4l alternator ended up being a 2001 svt cobra alternator. Once I installed it and reassembled the cold side, everything looked solid. I jumped the battery to get the battery a quick charge, then drove it for about 2 hours pretty much non stop. It smoked a lot until te exhaust cleaned out and then something great happened. Since the kit now had a sufficient amount of electrical charge to turn the oil drainback pump, the car stopped smoked so terribly. It now smokes a little bit when your on it for say 5 seconds or longer, bit nothing like it used to.

On a side note, car is running strong and whipped these condensers into shape tonight : a built up eve 10 (mods?), turbo rsx (wheel spiiiiiiiin), and an 08 Kawasaki ninja 600.

Anyways, thanks for all the support guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread