troubles with my ****in ford!

brapple

Established Member
P0420 is a pre-cat code for bank 1. if that is the only code that you have. if you have a p0420 and any other bank 1 O2 sensor code then it could be a false P0420.

chances are the pre-cat is fine but it could be shot and when that happens and it has degraded enough it will effect performance.

you have the following options

new pre-cats from the dealler - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
MSDS headers, etc - $$$
mil-eliminators - $

you can also gut the pre-cats too ...

ef8

Established Member
if i gut the pre cats will i pass emissions in washington?? as long as i got the one cat on the botom of the car?? an run the mil-eliminators since you have to if there isnt pre cats???

the car is at 125,000miles is it normal for all this shit to happen??

brapple

Established Member
if i gut the pre cats will i pass emissions in washington?? as long as i got the one cat on the botom of the car?? an run the mil-eliminators since you have to if there isnt pre cats???

the car is at 125,000miles is it normal for all this shit to happen??

I don't know about your state but you should be able to pass with mil-eliminators .... if they do a OBDII test.

but you should still be able to pass a sniff test with just the main cat.

plus is you will pass visual inspection because the pre-cats are there.

as I think it was stated P0420 and P0430 codes are common beause the limits are set to tight. They are often false codes in that sense.

you can go to the dealer and get the PCM reprogrammed to correct this.

otherwise yes teh pre-cats are know to die at some point ... nothing does infact last forever ...

ef8

Established Member
ok well i found the cable to the secondaries an they are opening... i just think sometimes my car lags in high rpm's... svts are suppose to pull all the way to the redline, right?? i got this car thinkin it would be a faster car then a integra an civic's... since it has the v6 an all

could it be lagging cause of the po420 code bein thrown... if so i should change the o2 but i was lookin an the o2 sensor is on the back header right?? thats bank1 right, if so does any know exactly the right way to get to it??to change

Last edited:

brapple

Established Member
P0420 has nothing to do with the O2 sensors unless there is a code for a O2 sensor then it could be a fake code. This is one of those codes that causes extra fuel to be added I believe.

if you want to check swap your O2 sensors from bank to bank, if its the sensors you will get a P0430.

ef8

Established Member
ok well i guess i should check the fuel pump then cause all the spark plugs where lean an someone told me that code threw an he had to change the fuel pump.. i just thought the fuel pump would throw its own code...

Users who are viewing this thread