Trouble w/ new idler pulley

'90 SSC Clone

Established Member
I am posting this for a friend, his computer is down for now.

He bought 92mm (I believe) idler pulley, but he can not get the belt back on. Says the belt is too short.

Have any of you had this problem?

He still has the stock blower pulleys and belt.
Oh yeah, it's a '03 Cobra.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:beer:

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
hehe. must be getting late.... sorry bout that. the stock belt is going to be really freakin tight, adding an idler with stock pullies. he needs to get an inch or two longer belt.

03DOHC

Established Member
If he's stock he doesn't need an idler. If he added the idler for looks then he needs to get a longer belt than the stock one. Try one a 1/2" longer. Might have to try a few.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by '90 SSC Clone
I thought adding the idler increased tension on the belt which increases boost.

Could I be wrong?
Adding a blower idler increases belt wrap on the blower pulley, which reduces the belt slip on the blower pulley. If he has the stock pulley adding an idler probably isn't going to do anything. If he wants more boost he needs to overdrive the blower (spin it faster), by adding a smaller upper pulley, which is where a blower idler comes in handy, or get a larger lower pulley. A smaller upper blower pulley and a larger lower crank pulley make the blower spin faster for more boost.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Adding an idler isn't going to do anything as far as boost. He is going to need a larger belt. The idler is suppose to take up the slack that occurs when you replace the stock blower pulley for a smaller one. I would tell him not to put the idler on until he goes with a smaller upper pulley.

03mineralg

Established Member
What dont you understand from your replies, you need a longer belt, and adding an idler does nothing for boost with the stock blower pulley.

03DOHC

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

I have personally seen it gain boost on someone elses car.

Thanks
If they had belt slip the blower idler can help prevent that slip and keep the boost lost due to the slip, but if the belt is not slipping the idler will do nothing. If he has the stock blower pulley his belt should not be slipping anyway. If it slips with the stock blower pulley then he probably has a problem.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I am posting this for a friend, his computer is down for now.

He bought 92mm (I believe) idler pulley, but he can not get the belt back on. Says the belt is too short.

Have any of you had this problem?

He still has the stock blower pulleys and belt.
Oh yeah, it's a '03 Cobra.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:beer:

based on your post it sounds like you replaced the "stock" idler pulleys... is that correct? If so then they are the same size as the factory idler pulleys. and the stock belt size should fit.

to be sure what pulleys you are talking about, were the pulleys that he replaced just the ones circled in red?

If so then the stock belt should still fit... just a pain somtimes to get it on. The trick is to weave the belt of the "ribbed" pulleys first then slide the belt over the smooth idler pulleys last. all while keeping leverage on the tension pulley at the same time.

if he also added the larger pully you see neext to the blower pulley or if he installed 100 mm pulleys in place of the stock idler pulleys, then yes, a longer belt is required obviously.

Last edited:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
btw, I believe 90mm is the stock idler pulley size and not 92mm. that may be making it too tight for the factory length belt too.

'90 SSC Clone

Established Member
Nope, wrong pulley. He added the one right under the blower pulley. Everything else is completely stock.

Thanks

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

I have personally seen it gain boost on someone elses car.

Thanks

with a stock pulley? :nonono: now if the guy your talking about had a smaller upper pulley, i would agree with you, but this is not your buddies case. ahh, just coat the upper and lower pulley with WD-40. help it slide right on. or just go get a belt thats a half inch or so longer, just like 03DOHC said.

Users who are viewing this thread