Trooper gives me my gun back with a round chambered and doesn't tell me...opinions??

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
I got pulled over saturday night for an improper U-turn and the trooper took my handgun to run the serial. When he told me to hand it to him I let him know that there was NOT a round in the chamber. He acknowledged that I said that. Fast forward, I get home, pull the mag out, rack the slide to safety check it and it ejects a round. I know 110% that there wasn't a round in the chamber before I gave it to him. He never said anything about it being loaded when he gave it back to me. Who else would have a problem with this? And i dont need anyone to ask why i dont carry it with a round chambered.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Gun safety 101 - ALWAYS check a weapon when it is handed to you, even if you just watched the guy who passed it to you perform a safety check.

I'm not surprised that he passed it back that way, many (most?) of us who carry keep one chambered. My 1911 is always cocked and locked and everyone who gets in my vehicle knows not to touch my weapon unless it is needed. It took a couple ass-chewings for certain slow-to-learn friends but they all have it down now.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Gun safety 101 - ALWAYS check a weapon when it is handed to you, even if you just watched the guy who passed it to you perform a safety check.

I'm not surprised that he passed it back that way, many (most?) of us who carry keep one chambered. My 1911 is always cocked and locked and everyone who gets in my vehicle knows not to touch my weapon unless it is needed. It took a couple ass-chewings for certain slow-to-learn friends but they all have it down now.

I dont know if I would be racking a slide in front of a cop no matter how non-threatening you try to make it.

That being said, He may have pulled the slide back to see if one was chambered, saw there wasnt and then let it go forward. Maybe he pulled it back too far without noticing?

You could call the police department or go in and tell them what happened and that you dont appreciate it.

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
yea no doubt it was probably just a mistake, but I'm a firm believer in handing someone a weapon the same way they handed it to you. im very responsible with my firearms but i wish he would have at least let me know. I understand that he could have just forgotten that i said it wasnt chambered.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I got pulled over saturday night for an improper U-turn and the trooper took my handgun to run the serial. When he told me to hand it to him I let him know that there was NOT a round in the chamber. He acknowledged that I said that. Fast forward, I get home, pull the mag out, rack the slide to safety check it and it ejects a round. I know 110% that there wasn't a round in the chamber before I gave it to him. He never said anything about it being loaded when he gave it back to me. Who else would have a problem with this? And i dont need anyone to ask why i dont carry it with a round chambered.

Trooper would have no reason to drop the mag/put the mag back in or rack the slide. All he would have done is run the serial number. Could've been that way when you handed it to him without your knowledge. Was it in any type of holster or case?

Edit: I HAVE to be the smartass that asks why you don't carry it with a round already chambered?

Last edited:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I completely agree that the weapon should have been returned in the same condition that it was given to the officer in, but I never trust anyone to do what's correct with firearms. I had a bad scare stemming from poor gun safety when I was in my teens and ever since then I'm pretty anal about my safety checks.

TBCobra - I agree that racking a slide in front of a LEO may not be the best choice, but if you have already informed the trooper/officer that you are carrying, have given him the weapon to run the serial and have been returned it I see no harm in doing a check in front of said LEO. I'm sure most LEO's are well aware of how low the crime statistics are for CHP carriers.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
yea it was in a holster. i had safety checked it when I had got in my truck to go to dinner that night.

Not sure why he would've even unholstered it except to see the s/n. I can't answer for sure either way. Not all LEO are gun smart with all makes/models.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Maybe he checked, maybe it was just a habit when he reset the mag too chamber it, maybe he thought "why isn't this hot".

But, I have to be honest...why carry? "SIR! Stop while I ready my weapon so I can engage you!"

mkb116

Established Member
We all know it takes less than half a second to rack a round from a holstered hand gun, who cares why he doesn't keep one in the chamber, it's his choice.

Maybe he made a mistake, maybe he didn't. You can call and complain, but he's either going to say no I didn't, or oops. Either way, I doubt he'll catch much heat for it. Move on with your life.

Why carry!?! Just because he doesn't have one in the chamber? Holy shit that mindset absolutely blows me away. I can't think of a single instance where you would need a gun with a full mag ready to go, but not one in the chamber (extreme sarcasm).

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Did you clear the weapon before handing it to him? You may not have known the status of your own weapon. Seen it happen before.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If you are going to carry a weapon, why carry it without one in the chamber? Totally defeats the purpose.

Not really. How long does it take you to chamber a round? If you are in a running gun battle or driving through Chicago or Kabul I might fully support this.
Even a criminal seeing you chamber removes all doubt as to whether a round is loaded.

How many circumstances have you been in where the round chambered has been a factor? I am not saying it isn't sound but to say it totally defeats the purpose is a stretch.

Attaus

Established Member
And i dont need anyone to ask why i dont carry it with a round chambered.

I think everyone missed this part. It's his choice.

I wouldn't worry too much OP, if the cop knew what he was doing he would have dismissed your claim anyway and checked, which it seems like he did. Handing the gun back loaded wasn't too smart, but next time I would leave it as "here is my weapon, yes there is ammo in it."

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Not really. How long does it take you to chamber a round? If you are in a running gun battle or driving through Chicago or Kabul I might fully support this.
Even a criminal seeing you chamber removes all doubt as to whether a round is loaded.

How many circumstances have you been in where the round chambered has been a factor? I am not saying it isn't sound but to say it totally defeats the purpose is a stretch.

I'm a police officer, so everyday.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
We all know it takes less than half a second to rack a round from a holstered hand gun, who cares why he doesn't keep one in the chamber, it's his choice.

Maybe he made a mistake, maybe he didn't. You can call and complain, but he's either going to say no I didn't, or oops. Either way, I doubt he'll catch much heat for it. Move on with your life.

Why carry!?! Just because he doesn't have one in the chamber? Holy shit that mindset absolutely blows me away. I can't think of a single instance where you would need a gun with a full mag ready to go, but not one in the chamber (extreme sarcasm).

Imagine anyone walking up to you and sticking a knife into your guy saying "Give me all your money!" You really think you can unholster your gun and chamber a round before being stabbed? lol

Same thing goes with a gun.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member

You're kidding right? Under stress and adrenaline, and when you need it most, the last thing you want to have to remember is another step to get your firearm into a state to function. In the encounters where I have had to use deadly force it was all I could to do to clear leather in time to get a round on target; forget having to add in the step to actually charge the weapon.

While I am carrying my firearms are always a point and shoot, not point and click, interface.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm a police officer, so everyday.

Duh, makes sense! The guy in question is not a police office and has it in his car. I wonder how many times he has had to point and shoot? My guess, never, nor will he have to where a chambered round will give him much of an advantage over feeding a round while in his car.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You're kidding right? Under stress and adrenaline, and when you need it most, the last thing you want to have to remember is another step to get your firearm into a state to function. In the encounters where I have had to use deadly force it was all I could to do to clear leather in time to get a round on target; forget having to add in the step to actually charge the weapon.

While I am carrying my firearms are always a point and shoot, not point and click, interface.

Then you are not training properly. You need to turn in your gun. I assume you are a police officer, he does not appear to be one. How many times have you had to use deadly force off duty while in your personal vehicle?

The real point is know the status of your weapon. A proper clearing would have done that and I would feel comfortable know he was 110%, like others said I would not be clearing the gun while a police officer was at my side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread