Triton vs. Magnum vs. Vortec

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
Considering getting a late model pick up truck. Now just considering since I have to dump some money into my Jeep and I have been trying to sell this Expo now for a while and think it might just be the best idea to go with something new to me and practical.

I have been looking at late model Fords, Dodges and GM's. I am leaning towards Ford for obvious reasons, but there are far more low milage late model Dodges and GMs for lower prices out there. How are all these engines for reliabilty, etc etc.

I've only ever driven a triton v8 in my parents old conversion E-150, kind of a different animal I know. lol

I am looking to get a crew-cab 4x4 with a v8. I looked at diesel trucks but they are far more expensive.

Now this is just me contemplating the change since I really do not want another car payment, but I have to do something soon. Looking for insight and concerns on these powerplants. I also am not opposed to a Nissan or Toy truck but they are more expensive in the used market.

Thanks,
John

btw: I don't want to go new, way too damn expensive, but do not want to go bottom rung for cheapness sake. I have limited myself to somewhat of handicap I know but 15k is the absolute max price I want to go for this.

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
I am planning getting rid of both these pile if I do do this.

'93 Jeep YJ with 175k 4.0L 5speed... looks kinda beat now, this is an older pic. But I love this little pile of crap Jeep. :(

dsc00504.jpg

And this '97 Ford Explorer XLT that I inherited and did not really want nor need. lol It has 114k and my sister beat on it like a rented mule in Mexico.

DSC00603-1.jpg

John

blown88gt

Established Member
I have a 98 F150 4x4 and it has a 5.4 in it. 140,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had it I changed an idlier pulley. I replaced the battery as well but it lasted til last Christmas. My dad has a 99 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 and his has a few thousand more miles than mine. He has replaced the alternator.

One of my good friends has a 99 Chevy with around 100,000 onit and he has had no major problems witht he engine. He did blow his tranny up though. He also had a 96 Dodge 3500 with a 360 in it. That thing sucked all the way around. Had tranny problems engine problems and the driver side cv shaft kept breaking.

I don't know if that helped any just my experiences with them or people I know directly.

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
Actually it does. I am slowly deleting the Dodges from my search. I can find alot of them for pretty cheap. And the general feeling on them is that they suck, except over at one of my Jeep forums. Gee go figure. lol

Thanks,
John

tistan

Established Member
I have had 3 friends with new dodges. The motors hold up fine, but the transmissions are another story. Every one of them had transmission trouble in the first 20k miles

99GTvert

Established Member
I would stick with ford. They seem to hold up the best. My dad had an 85 F-250 that still runs to this day even after the odometer rolled after a couple of times and my grandpa had an 86 that he sold last year and it runs awesome. I would go with a 97+ F-150 unless you really need a bigger truck then get the F-250/350.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
If you do testdrive a Dodge Ram, get one with the 5.7 Hemi. They ARE much better motors than the 360s. 100 more horsepower and better gas mileage. Thats hard to beat. Mine is almost a year old, and has had ZERO problems. :thumbsup:

jleews6

Established Member
I just went through this same thing. I test drove the new F150 with a 5.4 and the the GMC with the 5.3.
I liked the 150 and I have had ford trucks in the past but when I drove the GMC I had to have it.
I thought it was much nicer to drive and the power is awsome. My last truck was a F250 with a 460 and this gmc pulls better than that. I just towed a 70 mach 1 from massachusets to virginia and got 15 mpg @ 75 mph.
Without the trailer I get 21 mpg @75 mph. :banana:

Up until this truck I have always had fords but after having this one my next one will be another GMC. If I was going to get a HD work truck I would get a super duty with a powerstroke but for a 1/2 ton light duty I love my GMC.

Oh yah. I wouldnt even consider a dodge. :nono:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
So far, I've been extremely happy with my new F-150. Then again, it's only a week old, but every day I just have an ear-to-ear grin on my face. :D

pipeliner

Established Member
2001 F250 with a V10 Has 150k

The 150k are very hard miles. Towing, driving in creek bottoms and so on. It has not had a easy life. I change the oil every 6-10k miles. Dosnt burn a drop.

Have not had to replace a thing motor wise. Not the 4x4 is a differnt story.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I'll just say it like this from my perspective...I shopped other trucks, even Ford and I liked the Ram better. I've had my truck for quite awile and I LOVE IT! Given the opportunity to do it again, I'd buy a Hemi Ram over a Ford, GM, Toyota or Nissan. Its comfortable with strong performance. Its got one of the biggest (if not the biggest) bed. Plus, IMO its a super sharp looking truck.

blue_truck1.jpg

Plus, I've had ZERO problems with mine. In fact, if you look at the number of TSBs and recalls, you'll find that the Ram is actually in some aspects a more reliable truck than some of its counterparts.

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
I have a 92 F-150 with about 120,000 miles on it. BOught it used and it runs perfectly. Never had a problem, well any major ones at least, with the truck. The usual replacements such as battery, headlights, other stuff that wears down with time, but nothing major with the engine, tranny, or anything else for that matter. And it's a straight six so it doesn't consume gas like a V8 would. I like it and it's been great having it.

holtsch

Established Member
would a mid-sized truck be too small? You can get a nice tacoma for 15k or you could get a decent tundra, although I think they look bland compared to the other trucks on the market. Either way I don't think any of the big 3 can compare with toyota in reliability

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Even Toyota has problems though...they just had a fairly large truck recall.

Shaneo0oMac

Established Member
my family has probably owned 8 F-150s in the past and well we never really had a problem except for minor shit like window sticker glue not coming off if that counts?

bp03svt

Established Member
F-150, I just got rid of my 04 Heritage 4X4. It had the 4.6 Triton in it. All in all, it was a great truck, could've used some more power though---oh well, that's what the Cobra is for anyways. I only put 11,000 miles on it, but no prob's out of it the whole time I had it.

I wish I would've got a 5.4, but it doesn't matter now anyway. If I had it to do over again, I'd get anther one without hesitation. God, I miss my truck, but two payments started to suck and one had to go, so oh well.

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
Damn I found 1999 L for under 17g in an ad today... hhhmm wonder how many miles are on her or whats wrong with it. Cause I wouldn't mind that and keep the POS Jeep and sell the Sentra and Expo. :)

John

EDIT: Found out it has 71k and appears to have been modded cause there are three guages on the a-pillar. hhhmmm :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread