Trip into the tires...

Splatter

Established Member
Hi all, I had a misadventure spinning into the tire wall at my last time-trail. Any suggestions on where to get a 2012 Boss 302 decal kit (Black) and options on a better hood??

Cheers

My BOSS

Established Member
Man, you are from way down south. I really like the 13 Boss hoods, I have a 12 comp orange. Always remember keep it between the walls.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
+1 for Tiger Racing, I would go for the CF one if you have the money and don't mind paying to get it blocked, otherwise get the FG one.

Splatter

Established Member
Thanks

Thanks guys, will look into a tiger racing hood. Found a shop that can do the decals as new here. Learnt the hard way to watch your tire pressure!!Went out with a hot 40psi, shunted into the tire wall with 50psi, got to get the brake cooling ducts!!

Cheers

86Fbody

Established Member
Brake ducts do wonders for the brakes. It make the stock PFC pads feel like brand new pads once I put them on.

Splatter

Established Member
Would put some pics up if I could find out how too!! Apart for the obvious lack of skill!! I went to a new track and got a fair decent time, I thought I could do better but was too hair brained to notice that my hot brakes had put my tire pressure to 50 psi in the rear. First fast corner... the minute I put power on I spun out right in front of the stands full of hooting fans.....:bash:

After going over damage, its just body work with no sign of mechanical damage. No airbags etc.

Major downer, but off to race another day

Splatter

Established Member
Update and thermodynamics relearned

Hi, following up on spinning with hot tires.... On the following weekend, went to my local track where for time trails. I was all excited with my new Hawk hps pads ready to beat my old times. After 5 laps stuck behind a M3 and I was right behind him through the curves but he gained on me on braking. After seeing the torque app videos I saw i was going about a second slower with the new pads vs the original pfc's and having a lot of fade after 5 laps.

My explanation is that the higher friction pads where heating the brakes up faster thus leading to fade. I have ATE blue brake fluid, braided brake lines and stock disks. Yes!! I know get the brake cooling kit, I know, ordering them now....

All of this led to hotter tires and constant revision of the tires all day to keep them below 45psi.

Am I full of BS or does this sound sensible to the old hands out there??

hkerekes

Established Member
HPS pads are a street pad. They will not stand up to track use.

I ran at mid ohio with Carbotech xp8 pads, ate fluid, and brake ducts. 130 to 50mph stops and not a hint of fade. The brakes were flawless, my driving on the other hand wasnt.........

Splatter

Established Member
I know, I need a pad to be safe on the street as well, What surprised me was that the stock PFC pads did much better the the HPS pads. Was wondering if it was the excess heat the made?? Maybe should go with a set of HP plus pads

Users who are viewing this thread