Tried a couple of test spots on my 2013 black 5.0

v8stang

Established Member
On saturday decided to wash the car and try a couple of spots again. I purchased an array of products earlier this year and had tried a small section on the hood. I'm barely having enough spare time to afford having the car down for a few days...

With that being said, I do have some questions for you guys.
I did a section on the passenger side sail panel and the trunk lid. The sail panel cleaned up pretty good as seen below. I used 105 on an orange pad and 205 on a white pad followed by blackfire wet diamond on a black pad.

20131101_141013_zpsb8425458.jpg

20131101_145155_zps4d5bc8eb.jpg

20131101_145228_zps220c794a.jpg

I wasn't able to remove a scratch on the lid though... maybe a yellow pad? or some wet sanding with 3000 grit?

20131101_144904_zps819e18be.jpg

it did have some nice reflection though...
20131101_145720_zps014fe974.jpg

Ok, on to my questions...
*The 105/205 makes a crap load of dust. I read the v36/v38 is dustless.. is this true? I might have to order some.

*What product should I apply over the Blackfire?

*I noticed some solvent popping on the trunk. I have also seen it all over the hood. Its a bunch of tiny pin holes spread evenly throughout the finish. I'll inspect the rest of the paint when I get a chance to work the whole car.
Has anyone else had this come up on their 13's? I did some reading and it seems it was common in s197s.. Some guys supposedly got resprayed under warranty.
My phone wouldnt focus, but I did find a picture over at autogeekonline. This is exactly what they look like..Removing swirls left speckles or pinholes? - Page 3 - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
solventpop_zpsf2f51786.jpg

*Since the first time I received the Blackfire I thought the product looked a bit odd. Looks like its not mixed well. Yesterday that I tried it, I tried shaking it really well, but couldnt get it to look any better. Looks like it went bad sort of. Like i mentioned, I received it like this earlier this year. Is this a normal property of the product? Or should I be calling customer service?

20131101_151628_zps896a05de.jpg

RC-5.0

Established Member
Amazing how easy those circular swirl marks come up and are visible on black.
I would think the solvent pop is covered under warranty..You need to call you local dealer and find out.
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member
Should I be sealing, then waxing? Or the opposite?

Sealant goes on first..Your good wax is always the last step.

This is the normal order:

Clay

Polishes (1-2 steps depending on the job).

Sealant

Glaze

Wax.

If you skip a step, you still keep the same order.

The Sealant lasts longer than the wax. You want the wax on top of the sealant, not vice versa.
RC

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Sealant goes on first..Your good wax is always the last step.

This is the normal order:

Clay

Polishes (1-2 steps depending on the job).

Sealant

Glaze

Wax.

If you skip a step, you still keep the same order.

The Sealant lasts longer than the wax. You want the wax on top of the sealant, not vice versa.
RC

A "glaze" is a finishing or final polish. You would work with a glaze before applying the sealant....otherwise you would strip the sealant right off

RC-5.0

Established Member
A "glaze" is a finishing or final polish. You would work with a glaze before applying the sealant....otherwise you would strip the sealant right off

Actually that depends on the system.. If you research it you find varying degrees of answers.. I spoke to Auto Geek AND Adam's technicians on this and they BOTH agreed the Sealant first so long as you have clayed first.

The Sealant BONDS to paint(clear), while the glazes and waxes sit on top of the paint (depending on brands). If the glaze or wax comes off, there goes the sealant with it. Since the sealant bonds to the paint, it will NOT be stripped off with the glaze as long as you have given it the bonding time stated by the mnf.

Think of sealant as Tape. If the surface is free and clean, the tape sticks well to the paint. If there is something sitting on top of the paint, dirt, debris, or in our analogy, glaze/sealant, the tape will come off more easily.

You can avoid any frustration by not even using glaze (I usually do not) if you do not have a dark/deep-colored Car. Since I have Ingot silver, the sealant and Carnauba wax looks fine without any glaze.

Hope this helps.
RC

AWDLS2

Established Member
A glaze is really an unneeded step if you compound/polish correctly. When I help a big paint correctionist around here we never once use a glaze. And that's even on $1500+ details.

A glaze is basically a filler and if you don't have any/much to fill it won't really make a difference in appearance

I'd personally just use a nice sealant because I'd rather have the protection since I'm getting my gloss from having corrected my paint

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
A glaze is really an unneeded step if you compound/polish correctly. When I help a big paint correctionist around here we never once use a glaze. And that's even on $1500+ details.

A glaze is basically a filler and if you don't have any/much to fill it won't really make a difference in appearance

I'd personally just use a nice sealant because I'd rather have the protection since I'm getting my gloss from having corrected my paint

That's kinda what I was eluding to in my last sentence above.
RC

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yes, it does depend on brand because different companies apparently have different definitions of what a "glaze" is. To some it's purely a filler that's oil based and can rejuvenate older paints....to others it actually has some 2500 grit polishing characteristics and those are definitely the ones I would not apply a sealant before hand.

The ol standby meguires car show glaze #7 is the classic filler oil based product that could be applied last and briefly achieve outstanding results....but no longevity. Would be gone quickly.

As always...read the labels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread