Tricks to reduce nervousness

sub92loyill

short was never this wide
Established Member
Who's got some? Here's the situation: I'm a senior in college pursuing a Construction Management degree. I have a stout resume and every boss I've ever had, especially in the industry, thinks I'm a stellar employee - hard working, knowledgable, and reliable. I should have NOTHING to get nervous about.

The one thing I'm not, is a salesman. I can't sell myself. I find it best to let my work speak for itself but obviously I can't do that if I haven't worked for the company yet.

I have a few prospects but certainly would like to see all of the options before I settle.

So I need some help... How do YOU get rid of the jitters/ psych yourself up? My anxiety about the interview process could be a problem for me if I don't nip this in the ass pronto.

projectslideway

Established Member
alcohol, j/k... when I get nervous about things I just keep myself as busy as possible.. less time to think = less time to worry!

fa110ut

Established Member
"Just a wee dab o' speed"

Name that movie ;-)

Trainspotting?

To the OP: I have that same issue. It's like that with much of everything; meeting new people, proving myself at jobs, relationships, etc. I prove myself over time through my actions. However, it's tricky to even get into a position to prove yourself if the first impression isn't the best possible.

The only thing I've noticed help is exaggerate what you tell customers/employers, but only do so knowing you can live up to those expectations. Modesty, in this case, is like shooting yourself in the foot.

On a side note, Adderall makes me talkative as hell. :rolling:

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Haha, I use to be the same way!

I got a Construction Mang. degree also... ( What aspect of construction are ya headed into?)

When I have to go and talk to builders the thing I found that works best is just not think about it before hand. On the ride up, I just talk on the phone, listen to music way too loud and just do my normal thing...

When I get there I act like the person is just another buddy I am telling what I do for a living. If you know your shit, you should be fine.

Good luck and try not to step on your own dick!

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Dude. Everyone gets nervous or butterflies. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just be yourself and don't try to embellish. It is very easy to smell bullshit.

Most good managers will realize that you may be nervous first off and cut you some slack. They should/will try and find a way to make you comfortable.

Once you get into your groove, you will be OK.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
masturbate beforehand, have a strong drink

what works is concentrating on the material you are talking about, in your case it's you, and your accomplishments. I had to present a big projecdt senior year of college and it helped to just try to think about the project itself as opposed to the professors who I was presenting in front off.

sub92loyill

short was never this wide
Established Member
Haha, I use to be the same way!

I got a Construction Mang. degree also... ( What aspect of construction are ya headed into?)

When I have to go and talk to builders the thing I found that works best is just not think about it before hand. On the ride up, I just talk on the phone, listen to music way too loud and just do my normal thing...

When I get there I act like the person is just another buddy I am telling what I do for a living. If you know your shit, you should be fine.

Good luck and try not to step on your own dick!

Thanks. I'm pretty set on commercial construction. Where, and the scope, is a different story.

Keep 'em coming

Coiled03

Established Member
Dude. Everyone gets nervous or butterflies. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just be yourself and don't try to embellish. It is very easy to smell bullshit.

Most good managers will realize that you may be nervous first off and cut you some slack. They should/will try and find a way to make you comfortable.

Once you get into your groove, you will be OK.

QFT

I'd only add that knowing what you're talking about backwards and forwards will really help.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
QFT

I'd only add that knowing what you're talking about backwards and forwards will really help.

Exactly. Hence the BS comment. Having done hundreds of interviews, it is amazing at some of the crapola poeple will sling.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Another thing about interviews. Do you have a good list of questions to ask your interviewer?

You need to interview them as much as they are interviewing you.

uofipilot

Established Member
Like mentioned above, don't think of the interviewer as a prospective boss. Think of him as a prospective friend that you will work under. If it's a good fit, the interview will go well. If it's a bad fit, you will know. Just make sure you know what you're talking about, and don't make up stupid, bullshit stories to answer questions. Everyone knows when someone is full of it.

That said, remember the interview is a prospective boss, so don't be too casual. Be professional in a way that isn't off putting. Make yourself someone that the interviewer would want to work with (read: be yourself, and if it works it works, and if it doesn't, then it would have sucked to work for them anyway).

Fastboy

Established Member
I must say I have had the same nervousness myself and what I found out that is important for me is actually to run or walk a few miles the previous night. I wake up so much more relaxed and not that anxiety feeling.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Like someone said before "if you know your stuff it will come across no matter what"! Also, ask questions of your potential employer. This shows your interest as well as helps you become more familiar with them thus reducing your nervousness!

Users who are viewing this thread