trickflow heads

p5.0

Fast Over Reving Driver
Established Member
hey guys my trucks been out of order for like 3-4 weeks now. one of the spark plugs holes blew out to wheres it stripped the hole. im waiting to here some info on the trickflow heads. all ive seen and read about is one person blew there motor with it and the other claimed not to be satisfied. i need more info. i wanna do stage two cam trickflow and 4lb. CAI and tune. i really want to start driving my truck again. just to fix that one hole with a heli coli its 1000 and not garanted not to pop out. (from FORD dealer) i just gnna cash out the rest and do it right.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Take off the heads, and bring them to me. Ill take care of all of them for less than 1000. Which hole is it?

Last edited:

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
yeah just take it to a custom shop if you know any good ones around that deal with sports cars. i one put in for likr 400 or so if i remember correctly and held till i blew the motor lol. on the trick flow heads im waiting for block to get in to put them on the new built engine. on the guy that blews his engine with them i heard there were other problems involved......good luck either way

heetstroke

Established Member
I am about done with my 38cc trick flow heads and patriot stage 2.5 cams install on JDM lower end with a whipple. The heads looked 100x cleaner/better than the ported stockers I replaced them with. A few of the vendors have put them on local truck and said there customers are more then happy with the Trick flows. They also said that right out of the box they flow similar numbers to the stage 3 ported stockers. Once mine is up and running I will let you know what I think about them. Wont get the truck dynoed until Oct 8th though.

p5.0

Fast Over Reving Driver
Established Member
thanks guys 400 is a lot cheeper. but i really wont it to be fixed the right way. trick flows on stock bottom end stage two cam and 4lb pulley should be ok or no. i hope if i do go this route i dont blow the rods. i will have a safe tune. but let me know the more info the better. thanks again.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Timecerts and helicoils suck, thats why ford switched to Lock N Stitch hard anodized aluminum inserts.. I work at Lock N Stitch.

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
the inserts are fixing it the right way just the cheaper way but if you got the money go for it and you should be ok but dont be surprised when your boost #s its just cus your flowing more air, you will be making a bit more power though

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
IMO send the stock heads to a reputable shop and have them rebuilt w/cnc porting and better springs. That way when you step up to a set of cams it'll be "plug and play" all in a weekends worth of work.

I used fox lake for my work. Very pleased with the quality and workmanship. (cost a lot though because I went full out. SS valves, springs, hardend seats, thread inserts, ect..)

Rich

TEspy

Established Member
The TF heads will take some adapting when you use them on the 5.4.We had to get 8mm bolts to replace some of the 10mm stock bolts that bolt the timing chain cover to the heads. Also had to notch a small corner on the intake manifold on the front passenger side. Then you will have to make some kind of mounting bracket for the power steering reservore. The TF heads don't have to bolt holes to fasten the bracket to.
JLP dynoed my buddy's truck that has stock cams, TF heads, long tubes, cobra water pump, SBTB and JLP air box. Johnny had to add a MAFIA to get the air flow under control. After a new tune and a few pulls on the dyno the truck made around 430 HP. Not real sure of the exact number.

ChrisDeluxe

Established Member
Wow! Thats some nice numbers with just this tuning and the TF heads I think! Take your buddy the 38cc or the 44cc version? Did you have some pics for me? Particularly from the mounting bracket, witch bolts you mean and the corner in the manifold...maybe the hole package ;-) !?

I will use the 44cc with stage2 cams, k&n intake, c&l pipe,Kooks Lt´s and race cats - what do you think can I estimate? I don´t have a MAFIA, did you think it´s worth in my stage of tuning?

Thanks and sorry for my crappy English!!

Greetings from Cologne!

Chris

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
well im going to see some real numbers with the trick flow heads tomorrow. The same place doing all the work on my L just got finished with a harley d and it has the same long block and the new tf heads as mine will the only difference is that he has the patriot cams and a 3.4. I will be using the kb 2.6h and some custom cams.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
well im going to see some real numbers with the trick flow heads tomorrow. The same place doing all the work on my L just got finished with a harley d and it has the same long block and the new tf heads as mine will the only difference is that he has the patriot cams and a 3.4. I will be using the kb 2.6h and some custom cams.

sounds good. Ive been waiting for a nice comparison beacuse I have a full out built/ported stock heads right now

Users who are viewing this thread