Tribute to Trans-Am racing of the 60-70's

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
The final road race in Grand Am Koni Challenge will feature the cars of the Trans-Am series of yesteryear. There will be examples of the newer Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers racing at this event. The race is a 4 hour competition at Virginia International Raceway. Here is a press release explaining a lot of it. Anyone who lives in the area or wants to witness this race should try and make it out. The tickets allow you access to the paddock where the teams work on the cars so that you can get up close and personal with the cars, teams and drivers.

Challenger Making Strides as Team Heads to VIR

I do have some motivation to invite you all out as the team I work for races a S197 Mustang and we have an 18 point lead in the championship coming into this last race. That means even if the 2nd place car wins we only have to do better than 14th to win the championship. So come on out and watch some great racing, stop by our teams trailer, check out our Mustangs and say hi. Check out the team website so you know which cars to look for.

Rehagen Racing

Hopefully I will meet some of you there!:beer:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Good find!!! This will be a very interesting event. We'll see how "weight & IRS"...does against..."light & SRA"... in the American Iron rides. It will be interesting to see if additional "cubes" can make up the difference.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Good find!!! This will be a very interesting event. We'll see how "weight & IRS"...does against..."light & SRA"... in the American Iron rides. It will be interesting to see if additional "cubes" can make up the difference.

I'm betting on the light & SRA since we are winning the championship against BMWs and Porsches ;-)

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Yeah, it's an interesting series and it's cool the Mustangs are doing so well on the SRA. The S197 is a hell of a platform. I wonder how it would do if it had a "proper" IRS as opposed to what the '99's through '04's had (like mine). Who knows, could be better...but, this topic has been beaten to death in here. The SRA wouldn't keep me from buyin' a 2011 Shelby if I had the loose change. One advantage the Mustangs have is they are using the non-production Cammer motor...not sure what the BMW'ers and Porsche's are getting away with. It is going to be great fun seeing how the American Iron does. I hope we are all surprised...it's good for the sport. And American auto sales. :beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
probably even better, seeing the S197 platform was designed for IRS and got stick axle due to cutbacks. It is a very rigid chassis, thats why even with stick axle it does so well in road-course events.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Nope, but our race at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah will be televised that weekend though! It was a pretty good and exciting race to watch.

I'll try to remember to update this thread with links to pictures of the weekend at VIR after the race weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread