tremec transmission

fiveoh

Established Member
I need a new transmission and was thinking about putting in a standard 3550 or a tko. Im pushing somewhere near 370-380 tq at the flywheel and was wondering if the tko would be to much or would a standard 3550 be enough. Thanks for any information.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I have been running the 3550 with the .83 5th gear and have had no problems with the tranny in the past three years. I don't drag race, only SCCA solo 2 stuff and it has held up great. Many drag racers like the tko because the output shaft is much stronger than the 3550. I have heard of people breaking the output shaft on their 3550, but haven't experienced any problems. If you use the tko you'll have to get a different d-shaft yoke-more splines. Expect to modify your xsmsn crossmember and extend your driveshaft or use a spacer.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I'll second the stage II spec. I have the stage III and it is a bit much, I think I would've been fine w/the stage II. Screw centerforce....I blew two clutch disks in 5 months...junk.

fiveoh

Established Member
How hard is this clutch to push in? I have a centerforce right now and i like the pressure it gives will it be much more or less pedal effort?

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
It is about the same really didn't notice a difference. My friend says it's really stiff to push in, but he drives a SCCA VW Golf w/ a scat xsmsn & hyd. clutch...no comparision.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

MMFF had a good article about the 3550 (all 3 versions) in the 10/2000 issue. Back issues are available.
I have had good luck adding the Ford friction modifer (made for the diff) in with synt. trans fluid in my T-5 and 3550 (they use different fluids).
good luck

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Use the GM Synchromesh fluid from any GM dealership. This is what is recommended for the xsmsn and I have yet to find a fluid that works as well. If you try to use mercron III or equivelant it will shift like crap. 95COBRA-R, never heard of using the diff. friction modifier in the tranny...how well does that work???

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

The friction modifier works very well in the T-5. The trans seems to shift better. '94 Cobra trans has 20 races plus 40,000 street miles with no problems. The f.m. also seems to work well in 3550 but not as noticable as T-5. I only use 1/3-1/2 of one of the small bottles.

I use the Red Line MTL fluid for the 3550. My friends want let me go to a GM dealer.

I think the output shaft problems have been addressed with the newer cases on the 3550.
good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread