tremec t45fitment

CJK440

Established Member
Cobra t45's have different rear mount position compared to gt ones. The tail housing is different.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

4vRedone

Banned
Ok so what do i need to do to change it over? I just want to know if there is a difference from the bog warner t45 and the tremec ones.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I know the T45 and Tremec 3550 and TKO have different tail shafts housings.

But I thought the B&W T45 and Tremec T45 were the same.

Tremec bought B&W somewhere around 98 IIRC but I thought that other than the name the T45 remained the same.

MysticKhobra

Established Member
When I replaced my transmission I ended up getting one from a gt. All that was need was to swap my old housing to the new one. Just a few bolts and some silicone, be careful when pulling it apart/putting together, there is a small spring and ball in the shifter assembly That was my biggest PITA during the entire trans swap.

Last edited:

Jonesy98

Established Member
the borg warner T45 is roughly 2" to 3" shorter than the Tremec version. gt, cobra or not. (vice versa) none the less you will have to move your mount and redrill into the subframe location.

harvboi05

Established Member
just swap tailshaft housings. easy peasy. i pulled a borg warner tranny out of my car and installed a tremec. exact fit after the TS housing swap. same exact dimensions.

GT T45
000_0065.JPG

cobra T45
000_0066.JPG

pin that needs to be removed
100_1075.JPG

google it, there is a how to with pictures that shows you exactly what to do. it should take less than an hr with several beer/pee breaks.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
f12b33f2.jpg

444e96af.jpg

I got a gt trans also. Worked fine but be careful with all the shifter pieces they can be super tedious and hard to figure out at first

This helped me along the way
96-98 T-45 tailshaft swap

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
And another thing when you get to the ball/spring under the shifter I put it all on with a cut up soda can under it so I just slid it out like paper when I had it all together. Thinking of the idea took longer than actually doing it and if you're confused about this you'll know what I'm talking about when the time comes

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
If the tranny is out of a new edge gt (99-01) itll have a different speedo gear setup and you'll need a Speedcal for the speedo to work.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
You have to swap the gear inside the tranny, not the plastic one you remove with the harness. If you have the tailhousing off anyway i dont think its a big deal. Again, thats only to put a new edge tranny in a 96/97/98 car.

4vRedone

Banned
Ok thanks for the help ill be doing this swap soon seems easy enough hopefully i dont run into any problems.
Does the tremec trans have any advantages over the borg warner trans?

Users who are viewing this thread