tremec 3650 question

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I am hoping to get my MGW shifter today and install it after work. i have a quick question however, do we use the stop bolts with the 01 tremec 3650 tranny? i am pretty sure that i read soemwhere that we do not. Any advice?

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
01_BLK_COBRA said:
I am hoping to get my MGW shifter today and install it after work. i have a quick question however, do we use the stop bolts with the 01 tremec 3650 tranny? i am pretty sure that i read soemwhere that we do not. Any advice?

My Mgw is on its way to(i know its already in my mods, i knew i was gettin it!) and im curious of the same question.

BTW: i lived on Long island for 20 years before i moved to florida. I lived in Holbrook and i have 2 aunts that live in Northport. Glad the cold is over i bet now u can really drive your car!

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Yeah, the weather is pretty nice. I moved here after I graduated college. I am originally from PA near Gettysburg. Northport is a nice area.

Anyone want to chime in on the stop bolts issue for us?

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
01_BLK_COBRA said:
Yeah, the weather is pretty nice. I moved here after I graduated college. I am originally from PA near Gettysburg. Northport is a nice area.

Anyone want to chime in on the stop bolts issue for us?

Do you bring your car down to deer park ave for cruisin? if you see a green 69 camero ss thats pushin 600rwhp :eek: , thats my fathers car he lives in deer park. sorry to get off subject but we could really use some help here!

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have only lived here for a little over a year. SO I have enver been to Deer Park to cruise. I didn't know people go there.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
If I'm understanding your question correctly you're talking about the postive stop bolts the prevent from throwing the shifter too far and bending the shift forks in the tranny?

If that is what you are talking about, those stop bolts are built into the shifter base and are not part of the transmission housing at all. You will use a feeler gap guage to set them and there should be some instructions on how to do it correctly w/ the shifter. That's the way it is on Tri-Ax shifter and every other shifter I've seen for these cars.

You can see what I'm talkin' about on this picture where those two screw bolts are on the front and back of the sort oval part below the shifter handle.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks. I was asking because I thoughtI read somewhere that the tremec 3650 has internal stops and you don't use the stops on shifters.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
01_BLK_COBRA said:
Thanks. I was asking because I thoughtI read somewhere that the tremec 3650 has internal stops and you don't use the stops on shifters.

Now that you mention it I remember seeing that too but I think it's more of a fail-safe than anything else 'cause the stock shifter does not have it's own stops like all the aftermarket ones do. Set the stops on your new shifter and you can't go wrong!

Enjoy! :beer:

OrangeMachine

Established Member
01_BLK_COBRA said:

The 3650 does have internal stops, so the stop bolts are not necessary. MGW designed the shifter with stop bolts because the t45 does not have internal stops and needs them. You can still set the stop bolts for added protection, but be 100% positive that where you set them still allows for the shifter to FULLY engage all the gears. The shifter will come with instructions on how to do this, so don't worry.

Stomp442

In a Zone
Established Member
I installed mine without the stops and have not had any issues. Both Ford and MGW recommend not using them because of the internal stops on the 3650. It's an awesome shifter - you won't be disappointed!

Users who are viewing this thread