TREMEC 3650 fluid change questions!!!

vortech96cobra

FORCE FED
Established Member
going to intall my mgw shifter this weekend and while im at it im going to changed the fluid. im going rp synchromax 3.25 of it. Question is where inside of the shifter do i pour it? any pics would help. thanks guys:shrug:

4valvemach

Established Member
You do NOT fill it from the shifter you fill it from the fill hole on the passenger side of the transmission.IIRC it should be 1/4 inch below the fill hole with the car on a level surface.

xeno1234

Established Member
i filled mine from the shifter. RP rep said it is like 3.75L. Either way you just pour it down into it. Once you get it off you will see.

asiansensation7

FALRLGALGHLAGLHALRRGLAG
Established Member
Ford released a TSB saying to change the fluid level in the 3650 to 3.2 quarts. Btw, Royal Purple has been shown to be bad for the synchros in the 3650, I had RP in mine for a year and then changed to Pennzoil Synchromesh. Afterwards I got a bit less 2nd gear grind in cold weather.

Indmoney

Established Member
^^ ive been trying to find the same thing aswell. Ive heard that its bad and ive heard that its good, too many mixed reviews. No one seems to know how much to put in it either. AM.com says 3 1/2 qts, and i called mustang magic here in NY they told me 4 1/2 qrts.. wish someone can clear this up..

asiansensation7

FALRLGALGHLAGLHALRRGLAG
Established Member
It's 3.2 quarts which is equivalent to about 3 liters. I'll find a link to the TSB from Ford when I get a chance. I've read an article from Ford where they talked about the detergents in Royal Purple causing the synchros to wear faster than the allowable rate as engineered by Ford. I did use 3.7 quarts of RP in my car for a little over a year and then switched to 3.2 quarts of synchromesh. After the switch my shifts were more firm and 2nd didn't grind as much on cold days.

Indmoney

Established Member
It says to use.. ATF, which ive also read.. ill speak to the mechanic before its done. which sycromesh do you use amsoil or penssoil?

asiansensation7

FALRLGALGHLAGLHALRRGLAG
Established Member
Amsoil, but I haven't been able to find it at most auto parts stores. Penzoil is good too but their quality control is not as stringent as Amsoil.

tj4891

Established Member
3 qts of penzoil synchromesh with .2 lucas oil additive works great in my 3650 fixed my 3rd gear lockout at high rpms, just my 2cents

Users who are viewing this thread