Traveling to Cuba

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I was reading on Reddit a while back, if you know where to go in Cuba you can get a meal for $0.10.

That's far too cheap for me lol.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I know Conan did a big thing in Cuba somewhat recently. You may want to google his videos on that. If nothing more than perhaps see another side of Cuba without having to go.

canadians have been going there for years. you will be safe lol. should be a fun destination.

There you go, just say you are Canadian. lol ;-)

...and not just a couple either. I think I once heard 4 million a year. Hell, Conan filmed a show there. While I agree it would be cool to go, it's far from extreme as some make it sound. A friend was trying to get me to go but I already have another trip planned and some big purchases I should be making soon...so I said no. Maybe next year.

Whoops, I didn't see this post until now. It was an extremely funny show and he seemed well accepted. But you never know. I don't think our shows air over there so I'm not certain how well known Conan was.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I haven't been but, I've heard nothing but bad things from friends and family who have gone to Cuba. They all say its very sketchy. That they felt unsafe the entire trip.

See, no offense, but I don't trust the average American's opinion of "sketchy" at all. They live a sheltered life in a first world country. You put your average American on a public train in Chicago or NYC and they will say it's sketchy. Please! Here's a picture from a recent trip I took:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHRwKdSAiiK/?taken-by=kevins89notch

K4Vt2H1.png

Captioned: "Ahh, public transport in the Philippines. Need to get 40km down the road? $2 US, climb up and hang on. The wind in my hair, the beautiful countryside, and the smell of riding with fresh produce made for an amazing drive."

Now I'll admit, I could have rode inside the bus, but why? I don't even consider this sketchy. It's every day life for them. Being removed from my norm is what I love. It's why I travel. The average person doesn't like that, thus they go to an all inclusive in Mexico, never leave the resort, and are waited on hand and foot by proper English speaking workers.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Well it's nice riding in the open air and you can't beat, what appears to be onion, the free lunch up there too! ;-)

nxhappy

Established Member
5 night key west, Havana, Cozumel out of tampa. Fl
I would pass on that one....cozumel is good but not great. Look for a 7-8 day out of miami or ft lauderdale....(5 day too short trust me) good one would be st thomas, st martin, nassau, etc ....carnival is kind of "bottom tier" ...I would go with Norwegian, Princess, or Royal

Tylerc

Established Member
Been across Cuba three times now, It is comparable to going off resort to most towns in Mexico. People are very friendly and you will feel safe walking around at night. The food isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Most reviews on sites are really just overblown.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Never been to Cuba but I went to PR a couple years ago and much of my experience looks similar to the pics the Canadian posted. I would like to go to Cuba so when you guys go, keep us posted on how it is there.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I would pass on that one....cozumel is good but not great. Look for a 7-8 day out of miami or ft lauderdale....(5 day too short trust me) good one would be st thomas, st martin, nassau, etc ....carnival is kind of "bottom tier" ...I would go with Norwegian, Princess, or Royal

Haven't been on a Carnival in 3-4 years. Last time I was on their Breeze ship it was filled with low class people. Didn't matter the color, just was a shithole of class onboard. Young girls(teens) cussing out an old couple cause he asked them to get out of the hallway as they were blocking the way to the seats in the buffet was the tipping point for us.
Ended up just staying in the room(balcony) for most of it.

I'll gladly pay more on Royal(like their Oasis/Quantum ships) to avoid that trash again.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have no filter on what words come out of my mouth. Leave no doubt, I would end up in prison if I went to Cuba. I would have no more luck there than I would in North Korea.

dooberGN

Established Member
Make no mistake, Cuba is a 3rd world country with a government that can not be trusted to have much interest in your well being. If you stick to the areas that are frequented by tourists you'll be fine.

Once the Castros (and communism) are gone Cuba will have a chance to become a wonderful place.

Same could be said about the Philippines for the most part and I had an amazing time for a month there.

You're underestimating how nice the people can be.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Any one flown into Cuba recently from the US?

Looking at doing honeymoon there this fall and apparently flying to Cuba from USA for pure tourism is still "illegal".

Most of my internet research says to ignore it and go on your trip and check the "support for Cuban people" on a form such as this:

https://www.alaskaair.com/~/media/Files/PDF/QT-07-Cuba-Affidavit.pdf
Yes, technically, going to Cuba for "vacation" is not an allowable reason.

You just simply check "support for the Cuban people" or "people to people exchanges" when the airline agent asks the reason for your visit.

That and a $50 visa and you're in!

blackfang

Established Member
I was in Cuba back in 98-99 and it was a great time. I am sure it has changed since then, but once the Castros are out, give it time to recover.

Users who are viewing this thread