Trap speeds explained?

HISSN

Established Member
Ok i'm a noob when it comes to the track and the numbers that are printed on my time slip. What is trap speed? How is calculated? and what is mine telling me?

Info - First time at track with car and new setup/2nd time in my life to be at track.
60ft 1/4ET MPH

1st - 2.31 13.19 107

2nd - 2.36 13.3 115

3rd - 2.40 13.4 118

4th - 2.41 13.67 117

i spin usually through 1st and 2nd , and at teh end of 3rd when the turbos hit full boost.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
The trap speed is your speed during the last 60 feet of the track. I think its 60 feet. It might be a little less. Dammit.

Your slips are telling me that you can't hook but are making a good bit of HP. I'd say wel over 400 RWHP.

What kind of tires are you running? with that kinda power you need to be running a Drag Radial.

Also you need to look at what kind of suspension you have on the car and whether or not you want to lean towards drag racing or a little more towards road racing. And then buy upper and lower CA's and some good struts and shocks and some springs.

Car sounds wicked though.

HISSN

Established Member
tires are goodyear gs-d3...supension is MM LCA, MM SFC's, qa1 a-arms and kmember, with coil overs in the front and H&R sport spring on rear. But is that my actual speed or some calculation of speed?

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Thats your actual speed when you cross the line. Your trap speed is the best way to tell how fast the car is(how much power it has) and how much potential the car has to run a certain ET(time). Juding from your Trap Speed, about 117, if you put on a good tire and were able to get the car to hook and learned to drive well, you could hit 11's with your 97 Cobra, being around 3650 give or take 50 with driver. Your 60 foot is the key to a good ET, if you could get some MT ET Streets for rear ties and get your 60 foot down to a 1.8x or lower, youll see at least mid 12's, even better if you can get that car to bite.

JMD0346

Established Member
Like Virtual said. You trip a timing beam a set distance from the finish line. It counts the time it takes you to go from that beam to the last beam at the finish line. The time it takes to travel that distance is your MPH.

50_Dave

Established Member
his MPH will go up as he hooks more as well since hes probaly having to play with the gas pedle all the way down.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Depends on how bad hes losing traction, if it is very bad then yes, but usually, less traction is more MPH. If you put on ET Streets and make a pass, then put on a set of DR's or Street Tires, your MPH will likley go up 1 or 2, as well as your ET's however.

30th T/A

Established Member
i was told the trap mph is the average mph for the last 60' i believe. get your 60' down to 1.6 and you be mid 11's.

HISSN

Established Member
CannibalCobra said:
is that first pass a typo, or did you let off on your fastest run?
Yeah. 1st time at this particular track and 2nd time ever at a track and Didn't know exactly were the finish was or were the end of the track was, So i let off the gas and braked before the finish. I started to brake and saw the win light come on. i'm a noob :)

50_Dave

Established Member
Everytime my 60 foot has gone down, ive had more mph. Reason being because i spend more time in the higher rpm and less time in the lower rpm. I dont make any power down low.

Users who are viewing this thread