trap speed question

okc12silvergt

Established Member
K I didn't know where to post this but as in my previous post went to the track with my full exhaust, cai, boss intake, tune 5.0.
I ran a [email protected]. I have 3.31 gears and was on a 28 inch tall MT drag radial. any idea y my trap is slow low? I think I should be in the 117 range. I am on datalogged and revised bama tune not the canned tune they originally send you. The DA was extremely low for that track around 800ish.I ran
another 5.0 on bigs and littles with full exhaust, canned programmer tune 3.73's and he Trapped 117 although I think only once and ran a best of 11.9. is it the tall tire making my gearing to tall? my tune?

Swervedriver

Established Member
28" and 3.31s is going to need a power adder.

Where are you shifting?

Nobody can tell you if your tune is good or not based on the info you provided but this isn't the first BAMA tune I've heard about going slow.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Gearing, gearing, and did I mention gearing. Everyone else has said it already, but the car likes to rev with your setup and the 3.31 with 28's is taking you down lower than you want after a gear shift.

chancejat

Established Member
get 3.55's they have the best results when staying NA....but i guess 3.73 might work with a 28in tire...

GARY2004Z06

Established Member
As everyone has stated, gearing is a major issue. Although your shift extensions are independent of gearing and tire height, your engine is not operating in the power range that it needs to. A higher rear axle ratio and shorter tires will help to maximize your car's potential. Some of the online calculators can help you determine those selections. In general, a 26" tall bias ply slick that allows you to go through traps several hundred rpm above peak HP works well. We ran a Bolt-On C5Z with a 25.6 tall DR and 4.10s. This allowed us to trap 126 mph. (We had to bump up the rev limiter.) We currently run the Bolt-On C6Z with 4.10s and various 26" +/- tall tires and trap 138+ mph. (Again, we had to bump up the rev limiter.) Gears and shorter tires will really wake your car up.

Last edited:

Swervedriver

Established Member
Or more gear and stick with 28" tires. Final ratio comes out the same but the stang now hits a tire with more sidewall, and a larger circumference.

okc12silvergt

Established Member
well update went twice since putting in 3.73's. went 12.19@116 then went back tonight and ran a best of 12.70@113. WTF? I am ready to drive this car off a cliff. Im down with racing period. About to put it back to stock and just drive it. IDK why it went slower tonight maybe DA? Tired of beating on the car at the track to only be disappointed. My car has got to be down on power. I put in the short shifter and new bracket and can go into 3rd now. Had a slight issue getting used to the new shifter and not going as far extending my arm. Hit all the gears had a 1.81 60' FT and still only ran 12.7. Raced another 5.0 that night onl street tires that went 12.5. I'm done anybody want a 5.0?

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
That sucks OP. Do you have a shop you can go to to check the tune? Or are you sure it's running at the optimum level it should for it's mods?

bmoney50

Established Member
well update went twice since putting in 3.73's. went 12.19@116 then went back tonight and ran a best of 12.70@113. WTF? I am ready to drive this car off a cliff. Im down with racing period. About to put it back to stock and just drive it. IDK why it went slower tonight maybe DA? Tired of beating on the car at the track to only be disappointed. My car has got to be down on power. I put in the short shifter and new bracket and can go into 3rd now. Had a slight issue getting used to the new shifter and not going as far extending my arm. Hit all the gears had a 1.81 60' FT and still only ran 12.7. Raced another 5.0 that night onl street tires that went 12.5. I'm done anybody want a 5.0?

Did you log any of the runs? I wonder if you got some bad fuel. The DA that night was 1200-1450 depending on the time of the run according to my calculations. I was there Friday night my et was ok but my mph seemed low. I have been having issues with fuel quality.

SILVER-BULLET

Established Member

What was your 60ft on the first night/12.19 pass?

I would be logging/ keeping a log of everything. Tire psi, weather, fuel...everything.

Something is definitely up, 4mph on the same setup is a ton of power to lose. Same car/track/general weather.

More gear isn't always going to make you faster, especially with a stick. I've seen stick cars run the same "old" times with a new setup...only to look at the logs/find out the real story. A short shift here, and a weak shift there will make .2 of a second difference.

Is the car spinning, bogging? How are you launching? Any vids?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

Don't get too worried just yet. Get it figured out first. Friend of mine has a stock '14 GT that he just got a [email protected] on stock 19" pirelli's, so driver does make a difference along with conditions.
No need to go crazy just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread