Transponder Keys

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
Hey all -

I can't find my Ford Admin key, I only have access to the MyKey which has the car mostly locked up (as locked up as possible at least). Ford tells me I have to go through the entire process of getting a new key, full reprogram, etc.

Does anyone know anything I can do on here to avoid paying the $250+ they quoted me over the phone to have this done? I know I use to be able to reprogram myself if I had a blank key with just one of the keys, but can't find anything to see if that's still the case.

Thoughts?

Snoopy49

Established Member
You can't do anything without at least 1 Admin key. Check with the dealer and see if he can reset your MyKey to an Admin key.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dealer can't do that.

You're going to be buying a new key and going through the whole reset.

Been through this a few times with customers, if you come across a better route, please let me know!

billross

Established Member
Ouch... Yes the moral of the story is to be sure to always have three keys. If you lose one, you can buy a new blank key on eBay for probably around $15.00, have a hardware store grind the key to match an existing key and then train the car's computer to recognize the new key. You can only train the car's computer to recognize a new key if you have two existing keys. If you don't have two keys, only the dealer can make a new one.

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member
If I can ask, what are y'all doing with your cars that necessitates setting up and using a MyKey key? Restaurant valet?

No one drives it but myself and the tech at the dealership when I take it in for an oil change.

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
I have it as my spare. My worst fear is being in the car and having something happen and to have a friend have to drive my car back to the house for me... lol. I'd prefer a good trustworthy friend driving with the nannies on, over a tow truck or leaving it in a parking lot, lol

Users who are viewing this thread