transmission whine

Drazga

Established Member
I was beating up on my car the other day and I noticed after the end of the cruise the trans was whining. It is a very high pitched whine like the kenne bell when the trans is under load especially in 1st 2nd 3rd and very faint when it is cold idling in neutral. When I push the clutch in it goes away. I know a bad TOB sounds like a very high squeaking so I've pretty much ruled that out. Did I break something? Bearing going out?

T56 w TOB sleeve, new TOB, pilot bearing, 26 spline input shaft, anti venom mod, aluminum flywheel, mcleod rxt etc.

Any input?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
cant say but i just blew out my second gear in my tranny and it just sounded like marbles rattleing in my tranny, still awaiting the destruction pics from the shop thats rebuilding it for me.

You are ruleing out the TOB but to me thats what it sounds like since it goes away when you push in the clutch

svtwes

Established Member
Just had the exact same issue with my trans! Tried replacing the TOB , input shaft bearing, an pilot bearing but none of these worked. I ended up bring my trans to a friend who rebuilds transmissions to do a total rebuild. I upgraded an changed syncros,guides,input shaft,shift fork,etc.. An after $2100 worth of parts an labor my trans was 100 times better . My buddy told me he did not see anything obivious in the trans that could be causeing this issue besides the pocket bearing behind the input shaft.:shrug:
My guess is as good as yours ,just trying to fill you in on my experience that way you dont go for weeks chasing down a noise that you ll never be able to fix without going in the transmission.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Just had the exact same issue with my trans! Tried replacing the TOB , input shaft bearing, an pilot bearing but none of these worked. I ended up bring my trans to a friend who rebuilds transmissions to do a total rebuild. I upgraded an changed syncros,guides,input shaft,shift fork,etc.. An after $2100 worth of parts an labor my trans was 100 times better . My buddy told me he did not see anything obivious in the trans that could be causeing this issue besides the pocket bearing behind the input shaft.:shrug:
My guess is as good as yours ,just trying to fill you in on my experience that way you dont go for weeks chasing down a noise that you ll never be able to fix without going in the transmission.

Thats funny the shop thats rebuilding my transmission now is telling me not to be surprised if i hear a slight whine or noise after my rebuild. And I was thinking that that was b.s.....

svtwes

Established Member
My trans still has a slight whine but it is no where near as loud as it was before the rebuild . My guess is a change in backlash between worn gears . The Only way to fix that would be to replace the gears on the main shafts but if I was to do that I'd just buy the magnum T56

Last edited:

svtwes

Established Member
cant say but i just blew out my second gear in my tranny and it just sounded like marbles rattleing in my tranny, still awaiting the destruction pics from the shop thats rebuilding it for me.

You are ruleing out the TOB but to me thats what it sounds like since it goes away when you push in the clutch

Remember though, by pushing in the clutch pedal the TOB would now be resting on the pressure plate fingers, the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel which is bolted to the crank which is spinning . So u can rule that theory out.

Tha

Drazga

Established Member
Thanks for the input, think its safe to take to the track or should I be limping it around, I really don't want to shell out this money for a built T56 since I'm planning on buying a bike this spring.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Thanks for the input, think its safe to take to the track or should I be limping it around, I really don't want to shell out this money for a built T56 since I'm planning on buying a bike this spring.

If your car is your DD i wouldnt risk it. If you have the cash to rebuild/replace it (plan for at least 2k to be safe) then go and have a blast. With you not knowing whats wrong your risking it driving it more than you need to.....

Remember though, by pushing in the clutch pedal the TOB would now be resting on the pressure plate fingers, the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel which is bolted to the crank which is spinning . So u can rule that theory out.

Tha

Thank you i had it backwards

svtwes

Established Member

The $2100 spent on my trans included a new clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing , TOB, syncros,bearing kit,steel 3-4 shift fork,26spline input, bronze guides,etc..... By no means you have to do all what i did. If i were to just do the syncros an bearings the cost would have set me back only $850 including labor.
I figured while I was in the transmission already , I might as well take care of any other issues /weak links that might be prone to beaking.

Would I drive around on the trans? I did. Would I recomend it? No Did it hurt anything else? Not to my knowledge ,hell I even had track passes on the trans while the noise was present.

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

Drain the fluid and see if there is anything in that. If not, then I wouldn't get too worried just yet.

Drazga

Established Member
If your car is your DD i wouldnt risk it. If you have the cash to rebuild/replace it (plan for at least 2k to be safe) then go and have a blast. With you not knowing whats wrong your risking it driving it more than you need to.....

I have the funds but I really don't want to, it isn't my DD though.

The $2100 spent on my trans included a new clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing , TOB, syncros,bearing kit,steel 3-4 shift fork,26spline input, bronze guides,etc..... By no means you have to do all what i did. If i were to just do the syncros an bearings the cost would have set me back only $850 including labor.
I figured while I was in the transmission already , I might as well take care of any other issues /weak links that might be prone to breaking.

Would I drive around on the trans? I did. Would I recomend it? No Did it hurt anything else? Not to my knowledge ,hell I even had track passes on the trans while the noise was present.

I might take it to the track today :nonono:

If the noise doesn't bother you, drive it until it breaks. That's what I would do.

It bothers me, but its not terrible it's less annoying then the squeaking from the TOB on my 2v.

Drain the fluid and see if there is anything in that. If not, then I wouldn't get too worried just yet.

Thanks I think I will and I'll take my tuner for a ride as well to get another opinion.

svtwes

Established Member
I might take it to the track today :nonono:

i never said it was ok to do what I did, just letting you know my experience with this issue

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
I have a similar situation with my trans and its been driving me insane. Sounds almost like a blower whine and gets louder as i go through the gears. As soon as i push the clutch in, it goes away. I had a trans guy replace a 3-4th gear syncro last year and he said it all looked "A OK" inside. I had a slight whine back then too.

Im thinking it might be the bearing on the input shaft?

JStrib

No SVT for me
Established Member
I took mine to the track back in October and grenaded the rear. Long story short, we just got it off of jack stands last week and I've noticed a new whine mostly in second gear. I guess I'm going to change the fluid and see if that helps at all, but I've got the same concept going on with my car. What did it end up being with yours, OP, if anything?

JStrib

No SVT for me
Established Member
Flushed my fluid and it was clean. Whine is still present, so I'm not too sure what it is. It holds power fine though. :D I guess I'll just drive it until it breaks...

Users who are viewing this thread