Transmission troubles. Need some input.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Well i am running out of ideas. I had developed a rattle coming from the transmission/bellhousing area. As i drove the car it got worse and worse. It started out as being a slight rattle at about 2100rpm when the engine was cold and went away at operating temp.

It progressively got worse until the point in which it would rattle not matter the engine temp and go from about 2100-3500rpm or so.

We put it on the lift at work and it makes the noise no matter if its in gear, in neutral, or with the clutch depressed. It does seem to get a little better with the clutch depressed. However, the noise is coming from the transmission and not the motor, which gave me a sigh of relief thinking it maybe the main bearings.

So i just did a hanlon rebuild kit on my t45, all new bearings, syncros, etc. A few of the main bearings had some resistance and play, so i figured that was the cause of the noise. I also replaced the clutch fork, pivot ball, and throwout bearing. I got it put back together and installed last night and lo and behold the noise is still there!!:cuss:

Transmission runs ALOT smoother and quieter, but that noise still seems to be coming from the transmission.

I am really starting to run out of ideas. Input shaft didn't look bent or anything when a had it out.

Im ready just to torch the damned car.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Also i did check my output shaft and countershaft endplay and both were well within spec. The output shaft was a little on the tight side at about .0011 inch and the countershaft was at .0020 inch.

Everything shifted great on the bench and no excessive play. Transmission shifts better than before when driving now.

MouTine

Established Member
If you had your transmission away why didn't you bolt off your clutch assy? I bet the reason can be found there. I think...

coolguy10786

Established Member
If you had your transmission away why didn't you bolt off your clutch assy? I bet the reason can be found there. I think...

I almost did, but visually inspected the clutch and didn't see anything to be worried about. Plus i figure the bad bearings in the transmission were the problem.

I will probably be pulling it back out though and inspect it though. It has gotten better, but there is still some there.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Clutch fork cable cover on the bellhousing?? mine made a rattle.

I had pulled it off completely and no change.

What about your transmission mount? Is it possible the trans case is contacting the body of the car?

Sell me your motor before you do please. Thanks!

lol will do.

The case isn't touching the car at all. I will have to try and get a sound clip. Rattle may not be the best word to describe it. It almost sounds like bad main bearings, but coming from the transmission/bellhousing.

One thing i did not do was inspect the pilot bearing. I kind of ruled it out because it would make the noise despite the clutch being in or out.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I've heard of a cracked flexplate causing the exact same sound - sounds like bearings. My recommendation would be to check the flywheel for cracks. Also inspect the disc and pressure plate of course.

Let us know how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread