Transmission trouble need help!

blkstang302

Established Member
It's a friends 2007 GT. Sorry for posting this in the 5.0 section, no one is on the other s197 forum.

Its an auto with over 100k miles. Bolt-ons, cam, bbr tune.

The car starts and idles fine with no issues. When shifted in to reverse the RPMs drop to 500 and bounce up to 1000. The wrench light and check engine light come on. Also shows an ODO error in the display. When I try to accelerate the car try's to move slightly but goes no where. Same occurs when the car is shifted to drive.

If I put the car directly into 1st 2nd or 3rd I am able to drive it but tops out at about 30mph. Shift back to drive and the car will no longer accelerate and only rev up to about 2500 RPMs. The engine code is a P0720 which is the output shaft speed sensor.
Turn the car off and back on it goes back to idling fine until shifted again.

http://youtu.be/IVeOjpeo_nw

blkstang302

Established Member
Just replaced the sensor. It is slightly better but still not right. Still going into limp mode when shifted, but would actually move a little when in reverse and drive. Apparently there are three sensors on the transmission with the same part number. I changed the output shaft speed sensor on the rear of the transmission. Does anyone have any more suggestions....???

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
First off wrong forum. It's for Coyote cars.. which don't have the crappy 5r55..

But since you're here. You are getting that code because your trans is hosed and metallic debris has shorted out the speed sensor. Pull the smaller inner plug (torx30) in the fitting on the bottom of the trans pan. I'm guessing what comes out isn't new looking or smelling. Overhaul time

It's a friends 2007 GT. Sorry for posting this in the 5.0 section, no one is on the other s197 forum.

Its an auto with over 100k miles. Bolt-ons, cam, bbr tune.

The car starts and idles fine with no issues. When shifted in to reverse the RPMs drop to 500 and bounce up to 1000. The wrench light and check engine light come on. Also shows an ODO error in the display. When I try to accelerate the car try's to move slightly but goes no where. Same occurs when the car is shifted to drive.

If I put the car directly into 1st 2nd or 3rd I am able to drive it but tops out at about 30mph. Shift back to drive and the car will no longer accelerate and only rev up to about 2500 RPMs. The engine code is a P0720 which is the output shaft speed sensor.
Turn the car off and back on it goes back to idling fine until shifted again.

http://youtu.be/IVeOjpeo_nw

2003mach1

Established Member
P0720 is output shaft speed sensor, insufficient input.
I would be looking for a bad connector or wiring problem if you clear the code and it comes right back.
But those transmissions are pretty crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread