Transmission Slip?

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Ok, here is the story: After driving about 1-2 miles from my house I decided to floor it from about a 20mph roll and it was almost like I had put it in neutral. The truck almost hit red-line before I had a chance to take my foot off the gas. I let the RPMs fall back down and then accelerated normally.
I tried it a few more times and nothing but normal acceleration, but I did notice a different type of whine coming from under the hood, higher pitched than the SC.

After getting home I popped the hood and tried to locate the source of the extra noise but it only makes it while I’m moving evidentially.

Only mods I have are a 4lb lower and a CAI. Any ideas as to what happened?

I'D WIN

Established Member
Belt slip? Was it wet outside? early stage of paranoia kicking in?

Describe the noise!

FordFanStan

Established Member
yeah I would say extreme belt slip for a moment or your trans slipped out of gear and then back in which seems unlikely to me? As for the sound, prolly in your head now that something messed up lol..

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Not really wet outside, paranoia is likely though. The SC belt is a brand new Gatorback, but the rest of the belts are probably the factory ones.

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
I'll keep your tranny in mind Larry, but for now I'm going to go see if I can make it happen again. Better blow the dust off my DD.

davidwnuc

Established Member
was it cold outside?

i had a car that the tranny didn't want to act right if it was too cold...like the fluid wasn't up to temp yet. After i drove it for a few miles then it would work fine...? shot in the dark hope this helps.
david

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
It was cool (about 40) and the truck hadn't really warmed up yet. I normally wait for the truck to get into the normal operating temp range before I get on it. The only change that has been made lately was that addition of the 4lb lower, so I'm leaning towards belt slippage as my culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread