Transmission/Shifter noise

Zevox

Established Member
Figured I'd ask for some ideas before I took it in to Ford for them to look at it...

My car has a steeeda shifter and mount(the stiff one, red?), new clutch line, stock transmission and brake/clutch fluid still. When I'm driving in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear between 2500rpm and 4500rpm I get a poppy rattle whurring noise coming through my shifter. Doesn't do it in 5th or 6th gear at all and after around 4500rpms in 2nd-4th the noise "speeds up" and quiets down. Any ideas on what it? My shifter feels pretty notchy now and it used to be butter smooth. It's been doing it for about a month or so but I haven't had time to worry about it because of work.

I put longtubes, Boss manifold, and a dyno tune on my car like right before this problem started happening. Not sure if I snatched a gear too hard and it messed up my transmission or it's some other problem. My headers just do clear my transmission housing but I don't think it's hitting and if it was I don't see that causing this problem. Any ideas you guys have on something simple I can look at would be helpful.

draxxus131

Established Member
I would like to say maybe you just need a gasket made with better material. There is a person on these forums that makes gaskets specifically for the MT-82 shifter.

todcp

Established Member
draxxus131 is correct. Each of your changes has added some added NVH until it has become annoying. The long tubes and the Steeda shifter can definitely add NVH. You need to add sound and vibration reduction material. Look into noise reduction matting in the top of the driveshaft tunnel. Dynamax Extreme is a good brand and probably available at your local auto stereo shops or online.

My new MGW shifter kit came with smart and much appreciated added NVH reduction and heat protection materials. The kit is well designed and worth every penny. You have the Steeda already so it would help you to look at some of the tricks MGW uses to quell NVH. The MGW kit included Dynamax Extreme, stick on, noise reducer used to line the top of the driveshaft tunnel behind the shifter, an added heat and sound protection panel that bolts on to the bottom of the shifter box, some substantial interior soundproofing material mounted under the stock shifter soundproofing mat. Note they call for a 1" by 2" piece of the Dynamax wrapped around the shaft just behind the silver shifter knuckle and another on the shifter support round section. Go review the install video.

Do you have a Whiteline Transmission mount? This was a major issue for NVH in my car until I cut off the bottom center piece.

Between the MGW shifter install added sound and heat proofing materials and the change made to the Whiteline trans bushing, my NVH issues, including annoying clanking and banging of the transmission and driveline, are now very very close to stock. They are fine now.

Last edited:

Zevox

Established Member
My car has the gasket for between the shifter and shift box, Bob's gasket I think? Got it from a dude on here. I just put a whiteline bushing in but it was making noises before and the whiteline didn't make them worse. I took a video of it and will upload it as soon as my phone sends it to YouTube. I also want to mention again that it doesn't do it in all gears which is why I'm worried. My shifter hasn't been stock since around last October and this is a newer noise.

Edit- Here's a link to the video if you guys want to check it out.

http://youtu.be/LJReK1sSaCA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread