Transmission pull. How High?

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Im going to pull my transmission soon so that i can change out my clutch and was curious about how high i need the car to be lifted to do this? I have some race ramps wheel cribs that raise it 10 inches. But im not sure if that will be enough. I dont plan to pull the transmission out from under the car, only remove and slide it back to change the clutch. For those of you that have done it on your backs how high did you need to raise the car? i can always get a 2" x 12" board and cut it in 15" sections to add height.

Heres how it looks when lifted on the cribs.
20140305_132928.jpg

gr850

Established Member
Height fine.....neck and back not so. To be young again. Really depends on what jack, lift etc you plan using. If Army muscle then plenty of room.

fullboogie

Established Member
I'm going to strongly suggest that you find someone with a lift. That job is going to suck ass laying on your back.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Unfortunately a lift isnt an option. I just cant afford to have a shop do the work and i dont know anyone that has one i can use. Luckily i have some friends and a few 12 packs to get the heavy lifting done.

voodoo21

Double Tap
Established Member
Find an Air Force member at Nellis, or any veteran, and see if they can get you to the auto hobby shop. You can use their lifts by the hour for like $4-$5.

fullboogie

Established Member
Unfortunately a lift isnt an option. I just cant afford to have a shop do the work and i dont know anyone that has one i can use. Luckily i have some friends and a few 12 packs to get the heavy lifting done.

Understood, man. I guess after R&R'ing trannys a zillion times on my back, I can't bear the thought of doing it again. I'm also fortunate that I have a buddy with a shop, so I have a lift when I need it. Good luck with the project!

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Find an Air Force member at Nellis, or any veteran, and see if they can get you to the auto hobby shop. You can use their lifts by the hour for like $4-$5.

Im in the Air Force, because of all the budget cuts the auto hobby shop was shut down. Sucks that was a great place to use for just such an occasion.

Black Sex

Established Member
I've never done my Shelby but I could do a tranny removal in under 2 hrs on my 04 Cobra working off my back. A rolling transmission jack is a great investment.
The car might not be high enough to use a creeper and work comfortably.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Word of advice...loosen the engine mount nuts and tilt the engine back as far as you can via the balancer or pan. You will NEVER get the trans out other wise.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I used race ramps to remove mine. I also rented a transmission jack. The transmission will need to be removed from the jack to get it out from under the car. I had to back off my k-member bolts and nuts a lot to get the transmission out. More so than what the Ford manual stated.

voodoo21

Double Tap
Established Member
Im in the Air Force, because of all the budget cuts the auto hobby shop was shut down. Sucks that was a great place to use for just such an occasion.

Didn't know that. We still have ours at Ft Jackson. JBMDL still has theirs. That sucks. It was NAF funded and made money.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Ya its been gone for about a year now. They sold all the rental tools and lifts. I would have been all over it if it was still open. I did manage to get the clutch done finally and its was kinda rough getting the transmission in and out. Theres just not enough room even with the engine tilted and the K member lowered. It finally came out though. Anyone know if you need to do an alignment after a K member is lowered? My car seems to ride fine after, but just wanted to make sure its running straight.

Airbound

Established Member

I was going to suggest this same thing as well. Also, some high schools that have auto shops rent out thier lifts during the weekend and sometimes during the week... Just another idea because changeing it with a lift will be so much smoother.

killr3v

Extreme Member
Established Member
Ya its been gone for about a year now. They sold all the rental tools and lifts. I would have been all over it if it was still open. I did manage to get the clutch done finally and its was kinda rough getting the transmission in and out. Theres just not enough room even with the engine tilted and the K member lowered. It finally came out though. Anyone know if you need to do an alignment after a K member is lowered? My car seems to ride fine after, but just wanted to make sure its running straight.

it's recommended that you align it. But I'm certain you didn't affect the specs much if the kmember was just lowered.

Users who are viewing this thread