Transmission Problems?

Matt03

Established Member
I picked my car up yesterday from the dealership after they installed a new clutch because the fork that moves the clutch back and forth was banging off the bellhousing and the throwout bearing was bad, so they went ahead and replace everything to make sure it was fixed. Everything was fine on the way home and I went out for a ride later that evening. I was testing out my new MGW handle :) , and when i went shift into 3rd it grinded very hard, I didn't think much of it, I just thought i missed a gear. So I continued driving and i stopped at a stop light, when I went to put it back into gear (and yes the clutch was to the floor) it grinded again. It seems like it is also much harder to shift, I have to pull very hard to get it into gear. Does anyone when know what could be wrong? I never had this problem before it went to the dealership for the clutch.

Matt03

Established Member
Yeah, I was thinking that the synchros may be the problem too, I am going to take it to the dealer next week once again and see if they can find the problem.

Matt03

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
OUCH! I just realized you had longtubes! :eek: That's gotta suck with tranny problems. Did the dealer give you any greif?

I have had my car in for 6 different warranty repairs , so they aren't in any position to give me grief about my longtubes.:gt:

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Matt , it sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Is the point where the clutch starts dragging right close to the floor, or does it drag with the pedal right to the floor?

Gord

Matt03

Established Member
Originally posted by GordsFord
Matt , it sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Is the point where the clutch starts dragging right close to the floor, or does it drag with the pedal right to the floor?

Gord

What do you mean by dragging?

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Trust me its your synchros!!

I just got my 2001 cobra out of the shop after 2 months of arguing with ford over my car grinding 3rd gear. They said there was nothing wrong and they couldnt replicate the problem but every time you went into thrid it would grind as if I had missed a gear. Finally after I convinced them to fix the thing they ordered all the parts to fix it. Well almost every part was backordered so this added even more of a delay. Now that all's said and done they had to replace the throwout bearing (again!!!!!), synchros, and third gear. The reason they had to replace third is only because while they were giving me the run around I was having to drive a car that grinded every time it was put into third. I would get it to the shop asap, especially if the waranty is out. The more you drive it the more damage it will cause to your gear itself.

Good luck let us know how it goes!!
Travis Washam
2001 Zinc Yellow coupe
http://www.venomoussvt.com

jtfx6552

Established Member
Before you rip the trans out, try adjusting your clutch.

The normal procedure is to just lift up on the clutch pedal.

It is hard to explain to those that have never looked at the parts, but there is this thing called a paw which has teeth and engages a semi circular, (actually quarter circlular, hence the name) quadrant gizmo that hooks to the clutch cable. when you pull up on the pedal, a tab lifts the spring loaded paw from the spring loaded quadrant and the spring on ther quadrant rotates the quadrant in the direction to remove any slack in the cable.

When I had the stock set up, I found that on the '03 the spring didn't seem strong enough to take out all the slack. So I pushed the quadrant in the right direction with my finger while holding up on the pedal and all was well. Don't worry, I don't think you can get all the slack out just pushing with your finger so you'll still have some free play.

JT

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
When I had the stock set up, I found that on the '03 the spring didn't seem strong enough to take out all the slack. So I pushed the quadrant in the right direction with my finger while holding up on the pedal and all was well. Don't worry, I don't think you can get all the slack out just pushing with your finger so you'll still have some free play.
JT, is clockwise or counterclockwise the "right" direction. TIA

jtfx6552

Established Member
The first time you need to look at it. When you lay under the dash, it will be in the direction that pulls on the cable. You will be pushing on the quadrant straight up.

If you were looking at it from the side, from the drivers side it would be cw, from the passenger side ccw.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
The first time you need to look at it. When you lay under the dash, it will be in the direction that pulls on the cable. You will be pushing on the quadrant straight up.

If you were looking at it from the side, from the drivers side it would be cw, from the passenger side ccw.
Thanks. I looked under the pedal assemblies, but will need a better angle, and more space to really see what's up.

Users who are viewing this thread