Transmission problems?

patricks806

Established Member
I have a 2011 GT with an auto transmission and 25,000 miles. It has no major mods, only exhaust and Eibach coil over kit. I have my wife drive it about once every other week just to keep it running smooth while I am overseas. After visiting her parents for a couple weeks she went to drive it yesterday and said it won't shift out of first gear?? My first question was "did you have it in drive?" lol she insisted she did and tried it several more times. She said it lurches forward when shifting into drive and makes a weird pop noise when shifting back into park. I told her I will probably have her just floor it and see if that fixes it but wanted to get some input from you guys first. Anybody know what it could be or what I should do?

patricks806

Established Member
Thanks man!
I checked into that and this is all it said-
Summary:
LINCOLN/FORD: AFTER VEHICLE/TRUCK HAS BEEN PARKED SEVERAL HOURS, THERE IS A DELAYED ENGAGEMENT OF PARK TO FORWARD OR REVERSE TRANSMISSION ON INITIAL START UP. MODEL 2011-2014 EXPEDITION, MUSTANG, F-150, NAVIGATOR. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10055875 )

Is this pretty much just a heads up saying let the car warm up a little lol
I couldn't find anything regarding the transmission not being able to shift out of first gear.

patricks806

Established Member
The car will stay reved up to 7000 RPM and just won't shift. I told her to just floor it and see what happens. Worst case the transmission that sits useless right now will either break even worse or it will free itself and start working properly until I can get back and check it out mysef. I'm thinking maybe some gunk is stuck in a valve so hopefully an insane amount of force will free it up.

patricks806

Established Member
At least that's what a guy at the dealership told me before when I had to get my ECU completely remapped after I tried uploading a tune and the whole thing shut down.

patricks806

Established Member
How long is the power train warranty? If it's 3yr/36,000 miles I'm up on the 3yr mark, perfect timing :thumbsup::nonono:

patricks806

Established Member
I just got word from my wife she said she went out and "put the pedal to the damn floor." I guess it made a weird sound then "threw her back" once it finally shifted into second, now it drives and shifts just fine. Who knows what was wrong with it, so just in case it happens to anybody else, maybe you can try this to fix it. Guess I'll be getting a tranny flush to see if there are any chunks of metal.

Users who are viewing this thread