Transmission Problems Again

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I went to the track tonite to see what the L would do after a retune. My first pass was a 12.26@111 with a 1.687 60". Well the transmission was acting funny again. The next 2 passes were 12.30@110 with a 1.671 60', the last pass was a 12.33@110 with a 1.70 60'. My times was dropping so i decided to call it qutis before something broke. Ok heres the problem, my truck shifts from first to second weird. What i mean is at wot it goes to shift into 2nd but drags for about 4 to 6 trucks lenghts then finally shifts firmly into second. Its not a sudden on the spot shift like it should be, it drags the shift point out a long ways. Ok i had my converter installed by a local mechanic shop, i know for a fact they put cheap carquest trans oil in it. Could this be the problem? I have a ftvb in my truck and it never shifted hard enough to bark the tires going into second. Someone at the track told me to drain the oil as much as i could and refill it with B&M Trick Shift transmision fluid. He said it has a better gripping agent and that should be my next move before rebuilding it. It works fine at half throttle, like the trans was new. But at wot it just drags into second, second to third is fine and to overdrive is fine to. Anybody has an idea where i should go from here? Thanks sorry for the long post.

FordFanStan

Established Member
The "Carquest" brand fluid shouldn't be causing the issue as long as it is the right type of fluid filled with. That particular brand might not be the best, but it shouldn't cause those issues soley because of brand. If the wrong type of fluid was used, no matter the brand, yes that could cause those issues at the least; next it will destroy your entire transmission because the fluid does not have the right properties as the correct fluid and you can burn your clutches, pump, bands steels etc. Do you know what type of fluid was used, if not can you find out?

Do you have a CE or OD light on? Have you checked for codes? Yes then what are the codes, that will help diagnose. You mentioned that you installed a FTVB and it has never shifted as firm as it should. Has it been something that has been progressively getting worse? It could be numerous things. If no codes, and the right type of fluid was used, and it is new and fresh along with the filter, I would say it is the accumulator valve body itself... Stan

canugo12s

Banned
The "Carquest" brand fluid shouldn't be causing the issue as long as it is the right type of fluid filled with. That particular brand might not be the best, but it shouldn't cause those issues soley because of brand. If the wrong type of fluid was used, no matter the brand, yes that could cause those issues at the least; next it will destroy your entire transmission because the fluid does not have the right properties as the correct fluid and you can burn your clutches, pump, bands steels etc. Do you know what type of fluid was used, if not can you find out?

Do you have a CE or OD light on? Have you checked for codes? Yes then what are the codes, that will help diagnose. You mentioned that you installed a FTVB and it has never shifted as firm as it should. Has it been something that has been progressively getting worse? It could be numerous things. If no codes, and the right type of fluid was used, and it is new and fresh along with the filter, I would say it is the accumulator valve body itself... Stan

come on stan who are yout o give anyone drag racing or even tranny info on, you know nothing lol, :burnout::poke:

im jk stan

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
Stan theres no lights on and no codes. It was doing the same thing and i bought a ftvb from tim at chickenears, and this almost eliminated it to the point it was barley noticeable. But the problem has came back. I had the trans flushed and filter changed about 8 thousand miles ago. But i just installed my conveter about 2 months ago. I don't know what type they flushed it with, and all i know is it was some carquest oil can't tell you the type. Would it be wise to drop the pan and inspect it for clutch peices? Then get as much oil out as i can and then refill it with some B&M TrickShift fluid and see if that will improve it. The trans shifts perfect and never misses a beat, expect when you go past 3/4 throttle then it starts dragging into the gears. I hate to overhaul the trans knowing it works fine, expect for the problem i descibed.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
did you get a retune after the converter?
also B&M trickshift fluid dont even bother just get the correct fluid and call it a day

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
Yeah i had it retuned after the converter. But it was doing this before the conveter. When i put in the ftvb it almost went completely away. But what puzzles me is my truck never did shift hard after the ftvb install, it has harder but no where close to barking the tires.

tpr103

Established Member
did the tuner do anything to the shift points in the tune?? there is also something thats supposed to soften the shifts. not sure what its called though.

GMKILR9050

MTPockets
Established Member
I also have the same problem, sometimes the trans will be lazy going into 2nd at mid to wot , all other gears are fine, but under normal cruising speeds it seems to not happen as much.

Users who are viewing this thread