Transmission Options, to swap or not to swap

sleeper02

Established Member
So after much research on this forum and others, I feel some necessary planning is in order. I always seem to ask myself the same question, "When will my MT82 fail?"

Some backround on my situation. Im now over 550whp and I enjoy occasional drag racing in my 14 GT. Mainly, shes a daily summer cruiser / weekend racer car and I drive with a heavy foot ( like its meant to be driven). I may take this car up to 700whp on E85 in the future, but I dont for see myself turning it into a full blown race car. So if I blow the trans, what are my options? Heres what I came up with.

Option 1: Contact Rev Auto for a full stage 2 rebuild.

I like this option mainly because it will allow me to stage my upgrades a little better. I feel the MT82s gearing is mated beautifully with the coyotes distribution of power. By choosing this route, I could slowly aquire supporting parts like a Aluminum DS and finish my regear to 3.31s prior to actually having to fork over the +$2k for the rebuild. Roughly I estimate my total expense to be in the area of $5500, but this includes the trans build, RXT or RST, DS, clutch line, MGW race upgrade, 3.31s, truetrac, girdle and all labor. Im only hoping that its strong enough to last the abuse Im planning for it.

Option 2: Magnum XL Swap

At my power level and goals, this is probably the safest option due to its potential. Complete Swap package with all the fixings can be had for a little North of $5,500 and I would add the diff and girdle, but keep my 3.73s due to the Magnums gearing. Total expense plus labor im guessing is in the relm of $7k, but I could sell my MT82 since there are no issues with it. The negative is I have to fork over the entire expense at the same time to get it done instead of spreading it out like in option 1.

Option 3: 6R80 Swap

This option, is definately the most expensive to have up and running considering I still need a regear. Im also not fond of giving up my manual. The only benefits I can come up with is consistency, power proven, and much lower ETs! This option is like my last hope option, but im assuming the expense will be in the same area as the Magnum XL.

Questions, comments, concerns, critisizms?

In theory, I should have just bought an Auto 5.0. Screw you autos and your fast ETs! ;)

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have a buddy that has a paxton torque booster and has already broken 2 mt-82 revolution auto rebuilds and now is asking me about my Tremec. If you like to shift go with the magnum, if you spend alotta time at the track go 6r80 with a converter!!!!

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
Why has nobody tried anything with a 3650 swap? Just curious. I am sure I will get flamed for mentioning this as they have a bad record because the stockers are garbage. And yeah it is a 5 speed but how many actually utilize 5the gear other than road racers? For drag racing i feel it would be perfect if it would work with minimal mods. Less weight and rotating weight would be great over a t56.I have had 2 built 3650s, one from promotion and another from liberty. Neither ever failed putting damn near 700 to the ground. I probably put 200 passes or more on both and I beat the shit out of them. Shifted perfectly, like having a t5 again. No worries about a poor shifting box stock t56 which I have experienced and read about out. Plus a $2000 gone through built tranny that handles 700+, you can't beat the price. Like any transmission, poor clutch selection will end in its demise if you are pushing it to its limits. Been talking to a few companies about the swap. No for sure answers yet. I am sure a custom driveshaft and cross member would need to be had. Anyone know of the major differences from the 2010 chassis to the 2011 that would make it difficult?

Last edited:

J_verrett5oh

Established Member
Th400 swap
I was stick car then did 6r80 swap then i went to th400 and love it.. Transmissions are strong if you get manual valve body you still get to do the shifting but have the speed of an auto

the5

Established Member
Sheesh your prices are high!
I sold a full 6R80 swap kit for 3k, All you would ned is to install and re tune.

Also Picked up a Magnum used for $2250 haha

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Another option would be to look in to the new Tremec transmission offered with the Shelby GT350.

Lighter than a Magnum XL, Stronger than an MT-82.

phfelts

Established Member
I do wish ford would at least make the TR6060 an option in the GTs. I've heard they still have their issues, but I would be nice to have something a little more robust for those that plan to really beat on their cars. Some days I wish I had just picked up an 11-12 GT500 for a few grand more!

Surfergeek

Established Member
You can make the TR6060 work in a GT.

I swapped my MT-82 with a TR6060 GT500 take out. It's track prepped and bullet proof now. You can get all the electronics you need for the speedo and reverse lockout from modern driveline.

Super happy with the switch.

I don't drag race, but I beat the snot out of the car on the road course on a regular basis.

sleeper02

Established Member
I plan to stay manual. After talking wih Ben Calimer, I think im going with his built stage 2 mt82 with a 3.31 rear gear. His trans paired with the new race spec seems like a solid route. Plus, there is something about sticking with an MT82 and shooting for low 10s.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
For most guys I usually recommend the Magnum XL. It's a proven transmission setup with a straight forward setup.

We offer complete packages to eliminate the guess work and allow you to know it out in a weekend. With the shifter being mounted directly to the transmission itself it has a way better feel then any of the other options.

We also offer TH400, PG and 4R70W packages as well. Those we save for customers looking to go to the next level. We do offer parts as well to allow the speedometer to work.

evil281

Established Member
I plan to stay manual. After talking wih Ben Calimer, I think im going with his built stage 2 mt82 with a 3.31 rear gear. His trans paired with the new race spec seems like a solid route. Plus, there is something about sticking with an MT82 and shooting for low 10s.

I am interested to see how the rebuild holds up. Ideally I would be fine switching to a magnum but my rxt/mgw and dss cf driveshaft all don't work with it so I'd have to take that hit. If I just do the rebuild I obviously don't have to change anything. At 676rwhp I am just waiting to have a bad day. Only upside is that I mainly just drive on the street so I am not launching at the strip and taking hard hits on the driveline.

justinsstang

Established Member
I too had planned on going with the stage 2 Ben Calimer MT82 rebuild... Until I just saw a guy that autocrosses is on his 3rd stage 2 rebuild. He doesn't even drag race, auto-x/road course only.

hand-filer

Established Member

Does this guy have a website? I can't find one.

Users who are viewing this thread