Transmission options, suggestions?

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
No, I don't have an R. Most of you know that. Most of you on this forum, however, I know, and any input, pros and cons, would be appreciated.

5th gear in the 99 inhales with great vigor. Example: At Nashville Superspeedway, the front straight I redline 4th about midway around 130 mph. Shifting to 5th will pick it up to around 133-134, that's it, by the end of the straight. There's more to be had there, my tranny just won't allow it. Another example: Back straight of Road Atlanta. There's a small kink in the middle of it, which is just about the shift point from 4th to 5th for me. Shifting to 5th feels like it unloads the rear of the car, making it roll (or feel that way) way more than I'm comfortable with at that speed. Not to mention the measley 3 or 4 MPH pickup isn't quite worth it.

Considering the above examples, which would be the better transmission and why?

6 speed
5 speed TKO with the road race 5th

I do, though not often, drive the car on the street, and this year, I will not be driving it to events, it will be trailered (finally). So, streetability is really not an issue at this point.

Thanks,
Steve

{edit} I should mention the fact that it is geared at 4.10.

Last edited:

Terry Moenich

Established Member
5 speed is quicker and easier and less $$$ but if you do much tollway driving the engine will buzz depending on what gear you have.

The 6 speed give you the best of both worlds, more work, more money

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Right now, cost isn't the thing, both transmissions are in the same ballpark (the 03 6 spd is slightly used, but comes with the steeda shifter, d/s). If the same clutch can be used, I'm good there also. However, if I'm going to have to do another clutch, and the driveshaft he has doesn't work, it could become one. I've been quite fond of the McCloed I'm using.

No tolls in Nashville, yet. Ya'll keep that up North, ya hear?

BAD PNY

Established Member
Steve I forget what gear you have in that thing. Personally I like a 5 speed with a road race 5th. We rarely use 5th in the vette with 3.42's.. In fact I have never driven on a track where it was a plus. We hit the limiter at Pocono but shifting isn't really a plus. My 5th would be like a 5 speed road race 5th around .80. With the mod motor I know you like to turn more RPM thus more gear. With 4.10's you should get 130 or so in 4th. 3.73's I assume close to 140. The 6 speed is heavier and for road racing I see little advantage. Just my .02.

Good to talk to ya.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I'd go with the TKO-II as it's lighter and the 6th gear isn't really useful at the track.

I don't think the 03-04 driveshaft will work because I think the pumpkin flange is different. I might be wrong on that but just make sure....

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
AK! Thanks to both of you for bringing up the weight, I had forgotten about that.

Mike, 4.10's are in the car, and 130 in 4th is it. You nailed it. I doubt I'd ever see sixth myself, I'm simply exploring options, since it's a halfway decent deal on the 6. Nice to talk at you too, you swinging back this way in 06?

Mark, you're right, the driveshaft is different. This particular setup was done for a live axle, which means I'd have to shorten it. Either way, it's looking to be more of a pain in the ass.

Guess I need to start shopping on the TKO-II....

Cobra-R

Established Member
Steve,
I just bought a TKO II. If you really need a tranny, you can take it to get you going again. I just bought it for the 95R to get the road race 5th gear. Let me know.

Brian

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Brian, It's not a necessity on the tranny. Just trying to get the car so's all I have to do is improve the nut behind the wheels this year. The stock tranny (knock on wood) is still just fine, well, operational.

As always, TY for the offer.

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Mark, looking at the specs on your site, I have to say, I have no clue as to the spline count on the stock T-45 input or output. Changing the output yoke is no problem, but would I need a new clutch also?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
ragansrcobra99 said:
No, I don't have an R. Most of you know that. Most of you on this forum, however, I know, and any input, pros and cons, would be appreciated.

5th gear in the 99 inhales with great vigor. Example: At Nashville Superspeedway, the front straight I redline 4th about midway around 130 mph. Shifting to 5th will pick it up to around 133-134, that's it, by the end of the straight. There's more to be had there, my tranny just won't allow it. Another example: Back straight of Road Atlanta. There's a small kink in the middle of it, which is just about the shift point from 4th to 5th for me. Shifting to 5th feels like it unloads the rear of the car, making it roll (or feel that way) way more than I'm comfortable with at that speed. Not to mention the measley 3 or 4 MPH pickup isn't quite worth it.

Considering the above examples, which would be the better transmission and why?

6 speed
5 speed TKO with the road race 5th

I do, though not often, drive the car on the street, and this year, I will not be driving it to events, it will be trailered (finally). So, streetability is really not an issue at this point.

Thanks,
Steve

{edit} I should mention the fact that it is geared at 4.10.

Personally I like the T-56 in my '04 a lot better then the T-45 In my '96 Cobra. 3:55's with the T-56 seems perfect for the street.

oops NM, I see you're going to the track.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread