Transmission Options? Help...

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
I'm looking into changing out the trans this winter as i'm in need of a new clutch anyways, and am planning on changing out the gears as well. I figure i might as well look around for an upgrade. i don't really track it, but i like to run through the gears during my daily driving.

I've looked over the 4R70W AOD, but have met with limited enthusiasm from others on the usefulness of it on the street with a 300hp car that will be a 500hp car within the year. hopefully due to a procharger...

The T-56 is another option and is still very much on the table.

are there any other ideas out there i should be considering?

an auto with the functionality of a manual really amuses me, but i hear the choices are pretty limited to 3 speed OD's..

Last edited:

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
bumps are boring, so i'll update with semi-humerous pictures... still looking for suggestions.
originoffoamhand.png

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Most people will say go with the T-56 since there are kits available to do the swap and it can hold the power you are looking to make.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
a properly built 4R70w will hold 500hp, but a junkyard stocker won't. Our cars love to rev, you're going to need a fairly high stall converter to make the best use of this which will make driving around town a little strange and KILL city mileage.

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
gotchya.. i was planning on having one rebuilt if i were to go that route. i haven't checked into my options as far as that goes yet. But the more i hear about that particular tranny the more i'm led away from that as a viable alternative to my manual tranny.. seeing as mine is more of a DD than most, and gets mostly city driving.. but there are a great deal of roads and daily driving that takes place at 50mph+...

po-po 5.0

Established Member
gotchya.. i was planning on having one rebuilt if i were to go that route. i haven't checked into my options as far as that goes yet. But the more i hear about that particular tranny the more i'm led away from that as a viable alternative to my manual tranny.. seeing as mine is more of a DD than most, and gets mostly city driving.. but there are a great deal of roads and daily driving that takes place at 50mph+...

at 50+ you should be in OD with the converter locked, and thats not a big deal.

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
would it be a problem if i'm using 4.10's? i've been lead to believe that i'd be pushing around 2500-3000 60ish mph..

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
thanks for the input regardless. i've got some time on my hands before a decision must be made. i'm just trying to gather as much information as possible so that i can let my brain fester in it for a while before making a move.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
thanks for the input regardless. i've got some time on my hands before a decision must be made. i'm just trying to gather as much information as possible so that i can let my brain fester in it for a while before making a move.

All I can say is that those numbers seem a bit high. The lightnings have a 4R100 which as similar ratios to the 4R70, and they also ahve 3.73s. I want to say they're spinning 3000 rpms@75. So jumping to 4.10s......I want to say you'd be spinning 3000 rpms at 70, not 60.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you set on swapping over to an auto? You can also look into having the 3650 built by Promotion.

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
Are you set on swapping over to an auto? You can also look into having the 3650 built by Promotion.

i'm not set on anything.. regardless of the outcome i know the tranny will need work in the near future due to its age (80K).. i've never been into auto's.. just heard alot of good things about them and decided i'd try to gather info. i'm trying to find out if it's a good idea with what i want of it, or if i should go that route and either have mine rebuit, or get a t-56, or perhaps something i haven't even thought about yet..

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
The T-56 ill be nice once you get the blower. Before then, it will bite, especially if you have stock gears. The T-56 has really high gears in it, like a 2.9 something first. With boost it will be nice though

Chuckler3

Zombie Survivalist
Established Member
thanks. i may try to hold out then i suppose until i pick up a blower. i just figured i would do as much as possible this winter as my shopping list already consists of a new clutch and rear gears.

Shmirgin44

Established Member
I am going auto in the next few weeks and will have a t-56 w/ 7k miles and upgraded input shaft, 4" alum driveline, sitting around. Not sure if I am going to sell it or hold onto it, but just throwing it out there... I'll hit ya up on csvt when I decide if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread