Transmission Noise

RJCobra

Established Member
Lately my transmission is making more noise than usual. It is louder, with a slightly higher pitch, especially in gears 4-6. My car only has about 35k miles. Anyone else notice this?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
When did you install your MGW? After my shifter install, times of loud gear noise are random. Sometimes I can't hear it at all, other times all the gears have the classic high-pitched sound - almost sounds like wind noise.

RJCobra

Established Member
When did you install your MGW? After my shifter install, times of loud gear noise are random. Sometimes I can't hear it at all, other times all the gears have the classic high-pitched sound - almost sounds like wind noise.

MGW was installed long ago. This is a recent change. Louder and higher pitched

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
It is the shift keys or the gear teeth. You can buy a rebuild kit for thed T-56 for $100-$200 depending on what you need to rebuild and you can get the service manual and T-56 diagrams off the internet and do the labor yourself, you just need a dial indicator and some basic tools.

RJCobra

Established Member
It is the shift keys or the gear teeth. You can buy a rebuild kit for thed T-56 for $100-$200 depending on what you need to rebuild and you can get the service manual and T-56 diagrams off the internet and do the labor yourself, you just need a dial indicator and some basic tools.

You make it sound so easy, LOL

Could the gear teeth be worn already? I only have 38k miles

Users who are viewing this thread